Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft top refusing to open

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jimmi_z4_guy

Post by jimmi_z4_guy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:48 am

I recently had both roof hydraulic hinges refurbished, cleaned out both sumps and just refitted my roof. It closes completely without any issues but refuses to open at all. The red light next to the roof buttons is flashing constantly. I have checked the two sensor switches on the hinge and the roof tray is definitely down.
Any ideas what might be wrong here?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:46 am

Even though the roof tray/parcel shelf is definitely down check that the microswitch itself is intact and not broken, clicks on/off etc :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am

patriot66 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:46 am Even though the roof tray/parcel shelf is definitely down check that the microswitch itself is intact and not broken, clicks on/off etc :thumbsup:
Seconded.
First time I ever removed the rear tray I had the same thing.
On looking under the tray I could see the metal spring of the microswitch sitting there completely free of the tray above it.
I had to relocate the tray so that it was sat over that spring.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:56 am

Since it closes I presume the roof rail motor locks it when fully closed?
Shelf down but is the switch working or got itself misplaced so its not activated by the shelf peg that acts on it either would give you a red light?
If the roof rail lock motor is not working with the shelf in the lower position its got to be either the shelf switch or the power feed to the roof rail lock motor. I take it that the red pull ring manual release is working ok on the bypass valve on the pump?
Has the pump and motor been relocated to the side of the boot, if not suggest you do that first so you can at least get to it and keep it out of harms way from water. Guide on here and elswhere on how to do this, a fiddle but doable as a diy. Depending where you are in the UK there are guys who will relocate it to the boot, Bristol, Fleet Hampshire, Durham and Manchester area, info on other threads.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:32 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am
patriot66 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:46 am Even though the roof tray/parcel shelf is definitely down check that the microswitch itself is intact and not broken, clicks on/off etc :thumbsup:
Seconded.
First time I ever removed the rear tray I had the same thing.
On looking under the tray I could see the metal spring of the microswitch sitting there completely free of the tray above it.
I had to relocate the tray so that it was sat over that spring.
+1 same here

I think I’ve posted 4 times ‘thinking’ the shelf position switch was ok, but it wasn’t

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:35 am

jimmi_z4_guy, whereabouts are you? Rough location will do if you'd rather not say.
May be someone nearby that can lend a hand.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Does the switch go orange when you press the Down button ? If so it’s the shelf switch.

If it stays red, it’s possibly the send or loom between the central roof motor and the roof ECU
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

jimmi_z4_guy

Post by jimmi_z4_guy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:03 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:35 am jimmi_z4_guy, whereabouts are you? Rough location will do if you'd rather not say.
I live in Australia so I have very limited support :|

jimmi_z4_guy

Post by jimmi_z4_guy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:06 pm

colb wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:56 am Since it closes I presume the roof rail motor locks it when fully closed?
Shelf down but is the switch working or got itself misplaced so its not activated by the shelf peg that acts on it either would give you a red light?
If the roof rail lock motor is not working with the shelf in the lower position its got to be either the shelf switch or the power feed to the roof rail lock motor. I take it that the red pull ring manual release is working ok on the bypass valve on the pump?
Has the pump and motor been relocated to the side of the boot, if not suggest you do that first so you can at least get to it and keep it out of harms way from water. Guide on here and elswhere on how to do this, a fiddle but doable as a diy. Depending where you are in the UK there are guys who will relocate it to the boot, Bristol, Fleet Hampshire, Durham and Manchester area, info on other threads.
The Rail motor locks perfectly, I’ve triple checked and the shelf is in the lower position with the switch activated. I believe the shelf switch causes an orange light and I’m dealing with a persistent flashing red light.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm

jimmi_z4_guy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:03 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:35 am jimmi_z4_guy, whereabouts are you? Rough location will do if you'd rather not say.
I live in Australia so I have very limited support :|
Ah yeah, bit far to pop round, sorry.
Good luck with it.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:08 pm

Just one thought that may help narrow it down. What happens if you manually unlock the rail locks? Any different?

jimmi_z4_guy

Post by jimmi_z4_guy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:11 pm

Number5 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:33 pm Does the switch go orange when you press the Down button ? If so it’s the shelf switch.

If it stays red, it’s possibly the send or loom between the central roof motor and the roof ECU
The switch doesn’t go orange at all. With the roof fully closed and locked the red light flashes persistently.
Could you possibly elaborate on “the send or loom” potential issue?

jimmi_z4_guy

Post by jimmi_z4_guy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:08 pm Just one thought that may help narrow it down. What happens if you manually unlock the rail locks? Any different?
I manually unlocked the roof and used the red pull to disengage the roof to the down position.
Red light is still flashing. The roof will close with the button but not open at all.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Clearly the motor is ok. I don't no where the sensor is, but it seems likely that the close sensor is not registering that the action is complete. :)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:47 pm

There’s a sensor in the passenger side claw that tells the ECU that the latching is complete. There’s also a sensor on the passenger ram that tells the ECU the roof is up far enough for the hydraulic motor to stop and the claws to take over the final close.

The claws talk to the ECU via a sensor loom that runs down the passenger side of the canvas. This can often break with time due to the folding and the ECU then loses knowledge of where the roof is and thinks the operation is incomplete, hence the flashing LED
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)