Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft top refusing to open

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jimmi_z4_guy

Post by jimmi_z4_guy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:39 am

Number5 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:47 pm There’s a sensor in the passenger side claw that tells the ECU that the latching is complete. There’s also a sensor on the passenger ram that tells the ECU the roof is up far enough for the hydraulic motor to stop and the claws to take over the final close.

The claws talk to the ECU via a sensor loom that runs down the passenger side of the canvas. This can often break with time due to the folding and the ECU then loses knowledge of where the roof is and thinks the operation is incomplete, hence the flashing LED
After manually opening the roof completely it is able to close completely without any issues but is unable to open at all.
Interestingly, if I manually open the roof and then close it using the button, the error light turns off until I restart the transmission.
Where is the ECU itself located?

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:33 pm

I assume it latches and unlatches with out any issues ?
The roof ECU is mounted behind the passenger seat, just behind the small grille
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Are the windows going partially down when you hit the button? If not the top will not go down.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)