Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wipers not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:16 pm

I sold my Z4 couple of months ago to a friend who lives local. Seems the wipers have packed in again so I told her bring it around and I'll have a look. Took motor out and it works when live and earth applied to 2 of the terminals. I have already done the cleaning the grease fix. There is power at 2 of the terminals in the connecter that goes on to the wiper motor. The fuse is good and I already replaced the K36 relay behind the fuse board last year as wipers stopped working. The old one was knackered as I took it apart after replacing it and switching was very sluggish.
Bought a second hand stalk and plugged this in but still no wipers. Headlight and screen wash still both work. So - stumped. :headbang:
Read somewhere on here there are 2 relays that control wiper operation. Can anyone confirm this and what part numbers are? I replaced K36 which is 61316919113 according to Real OEM - its quite a genric relay used on many vehicles. Possibly K37 relay?
Thanks in advance.
FYI - Only sold Helga as I got a company car and no where to store her. :x
Z4 2.5se Auto 2004 Sterling Grey Convertible

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi bud

See link

https://fusesdiagram.com/bmw/fuse-box-d ... 5-e86.html

Scroll to relays

This says there are two relays for wipers?

Any good?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:43 am

Thanks for that bigwinn - confirms there are 2 relays for wipers so will make sure both work

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Well got access to the relay side of fuse board at the weekend. Done it before so quite easy now. The K36 relay is on the bottom right of 4 relays of same size in a square formation. Had already replaced this previously but swapped if for new one I had just in case. Still not working.
The location of the fabled second k37 relay should be above and to the left beneath an L shaped cover. Thing is the L shape is part of the moulding of the whole fuse board. There is no lid that will pop of from this side. It looks as thought the whole fuse board could be split apart but would need to remove all connectors and remove from car which is a bit daunting. Am I missing something here. Have a great photo on my phone but can't figure how to include with this post.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:56 pm

I had the same issue trying to figure out locations and orientations

If I recall there were fuses at the back of the fuse panel, accessed by taking the glovebox off and going head first facing upwards into the footwell passenger side

The l shaped cover if I recall is passenger compartment side, not engine bay side?

The other relays hang in a cluster I think adjacent to the GM5 module?

I used realoem to get more info on locations in panels and colours

However it’s not an easy one!!!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 am

I dropped the fuse/relay board down in to the footwell so it was easy to see both sides. The shaped cover when the fuse board is in place is on the engine side. But no sign of K37 relay. I read that on E46 there is a wiper relay in the panel under the bonnet in corner of engine bay.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:12 am

Worth a look- deffo a load of relays in that location, not sure if wipers though?

Let us know how you get on

EWS Delete PM me

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:58 pm

Up-date - No wiper relay in engine bay fuse / relay box.
Even with ignition off there is 12v at 3 of the 4 connections in the black connector that plugs in to the wiper motor. Took motor out again and could not get any movement when applying 12v direct to the 4 pins on the motor so have to assume wiper motor is gubbed.
Trying to source a used mote now.

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Well - tried the replacement motor and wipers still not working. Have ordered a used fuse board to see if I can figure out from this where the fabled K37 relay is located. Will keep updating until this is resolved - I'm sure it will affect other owners at some point.

Roberltd2

Wipers not working

Post by Roberltd2 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Good luck with the fault finding and thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. As you say, it could help somebody else out one day. Probably me.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:45 am

So used fuse board arrived and no sign of any K37 relay in the area indicated by relay diagrams. I can just see circuit board through the gaps in plastic. It looks like you could split the entire board but it'll be fiddly. I think I will swap the board over in the hope that if there is some sort of relay soldered in to circuit board in that area it will be working OK on the used board. All this is assuming I am barking up the right tree but I have tried everything else.
Relay location.jpg
Relay location.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 414 times
IMG_4070.JPG
IMG_4070.JPG (174.49 KiB) Viewed 414 times
fuse board.jpg
fuse board.jpg (273.14 KiB) Viewed 414 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 am

McTyke wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:45 am So used fuse board arrived and no sign of any K37 relay in the area indicated by relay diagrams. I can just see circuit board through the gaps in plastic. It looks like you could split the entire board but it'll be fiddly. I think I will swap the board over in the hope that if there is some sort of relay soldered in to circuit board in that area it will be working OK on the used board. All this is assuming I am barking up the right tree but I have tried everything else.

Relay location.jpgIMG_4070.JPGfuse board.jpg
Don't make it easy do they?
Looks like your original has something in the K5 position too, so be sure to swap everything.
Good luck.
If it works then maybe you could dismantle the original to see where the issue may be?

Edit: Also seems the replacement board has 6304A, but yours doesn't.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:25 am

If it works I'll be very happy. I'm doing all this to help out the lady who bought the car from me. And yes, I'll be splitting the old board to investigate further.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by bigwinn » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm

McTyke wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:25 am If it works I'll be very happy. I'm doing all this to help out the lady who bought the car from me. And yes, I'll be splitting the old board to investigate further.
Just putting it out there mctyke

No chance of a loom wire break/nip anywhere

I had that issue on an e30 in the steering column

EWS Delete PM me

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:29 pm

That will be next if this doesn't work bigwinn