Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspensions gurus - my offside wheel further forward than nearside (and other alignment woes): possible suspects?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Calps

Suspensions gurus - my offside wheel further forward than nearside (and other alignment woes): possible suspects?

Post by Calps » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:10 pm

On a recent drive across a mountain road, with a few more humps and bumps than usual, after a particularly sharp dip in the road I noticed some noise coming from the front when the suspension was called into action. Sure enough, there's wear on each arch liner.

Now, I've recently changed from 18s to 19s, and although I referred to willtheyfit as part of the change, some rub while under high compression, (which the road in question invovled), was not unexpected. Most of my driving is a bit more sedate, and I'd observed little to no rub up until this point. What struck me though, was that the rubbing persisted even after returning to less crashy, smoother roads. Low to mild compression would trigger it, speedbumps at anything over 25kmph etc.

After a second inspection, I noticed that there was considerably more wear on the offside than the nearside. Looking more closely, it became clear that the offside wheel is further forward than the nearside. (My hand easily fits between the wheel and arch on the nearside, but barely squeezes through on the other). I took these pics in an attempt to illustrate this:

Offside:
20210710_200140.jpg
20210710_200140.jpg (202.94 KiB) Viewed 373 times

Nearside:
20210710_200120.jpg
20210710_200120.jpg (208.41 KiB) Viewed 373 times
The car needed tracking work anyway on account of new wheels & springs/shocks, so I brought it in today in the hope that it would either:

- address the issue (if it was alignment related)
or
- provide some insight into what was contributing to it as part of the tracking work

I mentioned it to the garage at the start, they said they'd keep it in mind, and brought the car in (I had to wait outside).

Anyway, tracking done, nothing mentioned about the misalignment, but it's still there. Garage was closing so I didn't get an opportunity to follow up with the technician who did the work to get their thoughts, but as they didn't leave any note/message with reception, I'm guessing there was nothing immediately obvious.

So, before I bring this to a garage for some exploratory work, I wanted to get some thoughts as to what the issue could be. Refreshing bushes, joints, arms etc., is on my list of jobs to do, and could jump in priority if they were to be a contributory factor. Suggestions for suspects, and replacement parts/kits would be welcome.

Thanks as always!

(Side note: the garage referenced an e89 instead of e86 so, unless folks want to tell me that there's little/no difference between the alignment settings for the two, it'll need to be redone - printout below for reference)
20210710_210041.jpg
20210710_210041.jpg (100.7 KiB) Viewed 373 times
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 am

Has it lost a section of coil from a spring on one side ? They can break off and fall out without being very visible.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:01 am

Zulu4 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 am Has it lost a section of coil from a spring on one side ? They can break off and fall out without being very visible.
This is my guess also,I have had a broken one previously just the end of the spring had snapped off,the rest of the spring sat back in the carrier and the damage was very hard to see.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Calps

Post by Calps » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:31 am

Zulu4 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 am Has it lost a section of coil from a spring on one side ? They can break off and fall out without being very visible.
Thanks folks, that could explain it, and should be easy enough to check.

I'd hope it's not the case as I only changed springs & shocks less than 500 miles ago though (because one of the rears was broken!) but these things can happen I guess.

Calps

Post by Calps » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:50 am

Initial inspection suggests that Spring is good. I'll do a wheel-off check at the weekend in case it's at the top of the spring (although there is no noticeable difference in clearance between the top of the wheel and the arch).

In the intervening time, I've had the tracking redone, and nothing erroneous was highlighted (although not sure if it should for something like this. Caster needs adjusting possibly?)

If I rule out an issue with the spring, any suggestions for other culprits? Would failing/worn bushes and arms introduce such a change?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:01 am

Calps wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:50 am Would failing/worn bushes and arms introduce such a change?
I would have thought that worn bushes would allow the wheel to move back further in the arch under dynamic loads?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: