Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio Power Button Intermittent Issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
z4jono

Post by z4jono » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:19 pm

I have an intermittent issue with the radio power button on my z4 (E85). The radio works perfectly (including the volume knob) except most of the time pressing the volume knob (i.e. power button) doesn't power the radio on or off. However sometimes it does work. I haven't found any pattern to when it works vs not working. It is the stock radio with the only mod being an auxiliary cable connected. I removed the aux cable but it made no difference.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has seen a similar issue and how/if they fixed it.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:59 am

This shouldn't cost you a lot or take a lot of time, so consider giving it a shot.

My volume button (also power button) wouldn't adjust. I had read a lot of recommendations that to fix this you had to rip out the radio and have it repaired. I instead simply pulled off the button and using a can of spray Electrical Contact Cleaner with a red hose attached I sprayed the area around the volume buttons metal stem. There is a white plastic cap with slots and I sprayed the cleaner thru the slots. It work and the volume worked perfectly. I do this about every two years when the volume starts acting up.

I did this because I recalled a TV repairman who came to our house years and years ago who hosed down our tv's channel tuner and explained that the contacts tarnish and you lose the channel.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:41 am

Jas- USA wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:59 am I did this because I recalled a TV repairman who came to our house years and years ago who hosed down our tv's channel tuner and explained that the contacts tarnish and you lose the channel.
Well done.
I remember the days of the TV repair man too. It all looked very dangerous with those glowing valves inside our black and white TV.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.