Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Manual roof release issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jpvd

Post by jpvd » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:12 am

Hi all, just after a bit of help please :driving:

Have a 2.2 2003 z4, with a failing roof motor.

Tried swapping it out last week, going via the boot and could not get it to budge - talk about a bloody stupid place to put it!!...looking to have another go in a week or too with some different tools to help destroy the stupid plastic cup that seems to be strapped down!

Anyway - my problem now is the manual raising of the hood is not working. I pull the red ring and lock it in place. But the roof will not pull up - it can be forced, but it takes two people and feels like the hydraulics have not been disengaged. Anyone else had this issue?... Could it be the cable needs adjusting or could the release mechanism be all rusted up (like the stupid pump!!?)

Help would be appreciated

Thanks
Paul👍😊

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:55 am

From memory the cable acts on pin on the end of the motor, the pin will have siezed, several forum members offer roof motor relocation / repair services
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 am

Don’t force it up/down against its will. You’ll break the pump

There are several members on here who can extract the motor within minutes and relocate it safely and tidily to the boot within an hour or so.

Depending on your location, consider letting an expert do it.
People are based in Bristol, Hampshire, Cumbria and Cheshire
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

jpvd

Post by jpvd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:01 pm

update:

in the end i decided to have another go - i have worked on cars all my life so not afraid to get dirty - have installed full homemade turbo kits to past cars, swapped engines, rebuilt heads, etc....just don't tend to do it much anymore, because i really can't be bothered!.. :D

Anyway I did manage to get at the pump and after a couple of hours of tugging and swearing it was out...someone had cable tied it to the base on the compartment, so it was a nightmare to get out - but broke free eventually....The pump was soaking wet and the case was full of water...so i drained it all out and soaked the motor in wd40 for an hour or so....amazingly the pump came back to life and now works like a dream, relocated into the boot, sat in the original case out of the way.....why bmw didn't just put it in the boot to start with i have no idea, but its done now and all working again....

can do a write if people want, but others have already done it so don't see the point - its a fiddly, annoying stupid job and one i don't want to do again, but well worth it....

thanks for your help... :thumbsup:

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:52 pm

jpvd wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:01 pm update:

"someone had cable tied it to the base on the compartment, so it was a nightmare to get out - but broke free eventually....The pump was soaking wet and the case was full of water"

thanks for your help... :thumbsup:
Believe it or not that's how BMW engineered it!!
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

colb

Post by colb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:59 am

The cable tie that holds the plastic container in the well is what they use to secure it when they build the cars, when I did mine I had to use a long metal lever to spear between the container lid and using a built up pivot point in the boot forced it upwards till the cable tie broke free. Once it was free it lifted up and was pulled back into the boot. Mine had ben replaced before at sometime in its life and was bone dry so relocating it into the boot was preventative to avoid any future problems. I just cable tied the unit behind the carpet in the recess in the boot, ther is a handy bracket behind the carpet to cable tie it to. Didn't use the plastic container just wrapped it in some foam to lessen the noise when it operates, its not going to get wet in the new location.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url