Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2007 Roof not working after changing the motor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dsmor86

Post by dsmor86 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi all,

New to the Z4-forum and was wondering if anyone could help with a diagnosis for my poor E85.

Last summer the roof stopped working so I purchased and fitted a new roof motor hoping this would fix the issue, however, the roof still does not work. I tested the old motor after removing it and it was working perfectly fine so believe the issue lies elsewhere.

I currently manually put the roof down and back up and not sure if it is connected, but the roofs closing/opening mechanism (operated using the centre console buttons) only works when closing.

I have also taken it to a garage and after running a full diagnostics tests they couldn't find anything that could be causing the issue and suggested taking it to the local BMW dealership garage which I'd like to avoid so...

If anyone could point me in the direction of what may be the issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dane

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Dane. :thumbsup:

Just so you know we do like to see photos of new members' cars!

Anyway sorry to hear of your roof motor woes. There are a few people on here who can work wonders with them for sensible money and relocate them into the boot so they don't sit in a puddle!

Ross (bowser134 on here) is in Hook, Hampshire, Number5 is near Bristol and you'll never guess where Durham Dave is.

Just depends where you are.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dsmor86

Post by dsmor86 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:16 pm

Evening Mr Tidy,

Thanks for the reply.

How rude of me, here she is :)

I'm in Essex and would ideally do it myself. Although I will bear them in mind if I am unable to get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks

Dane
Attachments
Z4.jpg
Z4.jpg (99.19 KiB) Viewed 182 times

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am

Please can you write out exactly what you're observing when you try to operate the roof, including any lights you see down by the roof operating buttons and any sounds you hear? It would also help to have all details of what you've tried so far. Once that's all written up, one/some of us will know where to start with helping you.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>