Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Light problem - double speed indicators

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Benjamin547

Post by Benjamin547 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am

Morning all. I’ve got an issue with my right indicators. When I indicate right, i get double speed indicator. The left side is absolutely fine.

I’ve checked to see if all of the bulbs are working when I indicate right, and they do (front, back and side). I’ve also checked the hazard lights, and they work perfect at normal speed.

So.. I did some research and replaced the lights switch module. Literally replaced the module switch that turns on your headlights, controls the dip of the beam etc. That didn’t work.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:54 am

Have you tried replacing all the bulbs on the right side, just in case something weird has happened to one of them (i.e. it lights but has a high resistance ?)
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:19 am

usually the sign of a poor earth - suggest you check the holders themselves and the earth connection of the light cluster-
Try attaching a separate earth and run the indicators to see if they work normally
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am

Don't forget the head lights have two indicator bulbs, could be just one of them that has blown.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Benjamin547

Post by Benjamin547 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 am

dhobbs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am Don't forget the head lights have two indicator bulbs, could be just one of them that has blown.
I have the 2xcite headlights, and I thought they only had 1 indicator bulb (I could be wrong).

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:37 pm

Benjamin547 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 am
dhobbs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am Don't forget the head lights have two indicator bulbs, could be just one of them that has blown.
I have the 2xcite headlights, and I thought they only had 1 indicator bulb (I could be wrong).
Sorry, can't vouch for the 2xcite headlights.
Have you got any closed to finding the fault?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm

Benjamin547 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 am
I also have Sonar 2xcite headlights. They definitely only have one indicator bulb. Have you physically withdrawn the indicator bulb holder from the rear of the light unit ? The bulbs are sometimes a very tight fit through the orifice and can be twisted slightly when fitting and not make full contact in the holder. Also, have you wired the 'eyebrow' bulb into any other such as the angel-eyes or the small central LEDS or the indicator ? Do you have any LEDs fitted in any of those places ? From my experience the Sonar lights do seem quite sensitive to particular bulbs or LEDs. As a last resort check the multipin connector block where the headlight unit is plugged into the existing BMW connector as these can corrode or be a bit temperamental. Unfortunately, if you can't get to the connector block through the wheel arch access panel then you may need to remove the front bumper to get to them :(
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 pm

The Sonar/2xcite headlights also have a load resistor under the headlight.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Benjamin547

Post by Benjamin547 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for the help guys. My local garage are helping out with an auto electrician. I’m hoping it’s nothing too crazy, and easy to fix. I’ll let you know what the outcome is. Thanks again, I’m really grateful for the advice and support.

Ben

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm

Hi Ben,

Would be interested to hear what happens, my car randomly started doing this exact same double speed only on the right indicator, but with original headlights. It works normally on hazards so I assume that means the problem isn’t with the light itself?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Ali0191 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm It works normally on hazards so I assume that means the problem isn’t with the light itself?
Not necessarily, have you checked both bulbs?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:58 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 pm
Ali0191 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm It works normally on hazards so I assume that means the problem isn’t with the light itself?
Not necessarily, have you checked both bulbs?
It was only on the weekend that I realised there are supposed to be 2 indicator bulbs on each side!

I also found an old thread describing my exact issues as well, on a 50 mile drive the other day the issue came and went whilst using the right indicator.

If anyone is digging into the same issue this is the thread:

viewtopic.php?t=84633

I am yet to catch it with the warning light off and the chance to get out and check the bulb is working.

The issue for them was LEDs, which I had for the side lights and all of this started when the left LED went. Once LEDs were removed the problem slowly went away (fault came up less and less).

For now I am going to see what happens. If the fault is still popping back in a couple of weeks I’ll get the indicator stalk out, clean the connections and check the bulbs.

kalt

Post by kalt » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Check the headlight harness for rust, causing bad contact and resistance