Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Locked out. Very locked out.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:24 am

Does triggering the impact sensor release the deadlocks? It would seem sensible but if the GM5 module is not working then I can only think it wouldn't work.
Think you're right with the latter two, in that order! Couple of ideas for key insertion and rotation to try in the morning.
If that doesn't work hopefully the forum will work it's magic before I resort to breaking the glass.
I think it's likely possible, if awkward to remove the GM5 module without the door open.
E85 3.0 M54 Titanium Silver. 88k. Cotteswolds.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 am

Keep us posted eh- who knows who will get this issue next

I wouldnt keep levering the windows as it may damage window channels etc- at that point I would probably be breaking the glass for the relatively simple task of replacing it...
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:39 am

Having had a better look /think about getting the key on the ignition through the small gap at the top of the window, I don't think it's possible.
I'm looking into whether I can remove the roof tray in the boot to afford access for my seven year old to climb through where the wind deflector sits and get the key in the ignition. Or detach the roof at the rear.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:45 am

Jamie25 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:39 am Having had a better look /think about getting the key on the ignition through the small gap at the top of the window, I don't think it's possible.
I'm looking into whether I can remove the roof tray in the boot to afford access for my seven year old to climb through where the wind deflector sits and get the key in the ignition. Or detach the roof at the rear.
Thats a winner- should be able to get the clips out from below- is the wind deflector in place?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:48 am

bigwinn wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:45 am
Jamie25 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:39 am Having had a better look /think about getting the key on the ignition through the small gap at the top of the window, I don't think it's possible.
Thats a winner- should be able to get the clips out from below- is the wind deflector in place?
Wind deflector will lift out with the roof up, I've done it.
However, are you sure simply getting the key in the ignition will be sufficient?
Don't want your nipper stuck in a hot car.
I'd chock the wheels first as well, just in case the key gets turned too far and the gear lever is knocked.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Haro

Post by Haro » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm

You could try powering the roof using a feed to the pump.

Haro

Post by Haro » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:10 pm

If the gm5 is toast it won't trigger the the locks but it will allow the windows to be opened.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Haro wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:10 pm If the gm5 is toast it won't trigger the the locks but it will allow the windows to be opened.
Yup, that's ok then.
GM5 toasted is one thing, 7-y-o offspring toasted is not good. :roll:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm
Haro wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:10 pm If the gm5 is toast it won't trigger the the locks but it will allow the windows to be opened.
Yup, that's ok then.
I’m impressed with your humanity bud!

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:58 pm

bigwinn wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm
Yup, that's ok then.
By the time they get to 7 your financial outlay is already huge. Wouldn't want to throw that away would you.
To say nothing of the paperwork! :rofl:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:58 pm
bigwinn wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm Yup, that's ok then.
By the time they get to 7 your financial outlay is already huge. Wouldn't want to throw that away would you.
To say nothing of the paperwork! :rofl:
Spoken like a true ex service stalwart

Imagine the paperwork

EWS Delete PM me

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Just sat in my car and tried all sorts to see if I could help you. Unfortunately I'm stumped too.
I see what you mean when you say you can pull the inside lever, the lock button pops up, but the door does not unlatch (when it's already locked).

I think I'd be breaking a side window as there are quite a few on ebay or you could ask Autoglass to come and remove your front windscreen.

Best of luck.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm

I'm in, and got everything working as it should except lock /unlock on the fob. It involved boot shelf removal, key on a string (incase recovery was needed) some fine contraption and two people, one to manipulate blind, the other giving directions, then a rod through the window gap to push the key home and then turn it. Engine started, doors still locked. Then managed to open on the central locking button!

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:22 pm

The contraption was basically pipe insulation with the key inserted in the end but poking out at roughly 90 deg to offer it up to the ignition. Then pushed in via the window gap.
Last edited by Jamie25 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Jamie25 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm I'm in, and got everything working as it should except lock /unlock on the fob. It involved boot shelf removal, key on a string (incase recovery was needed) some fine contraption and two people, one to manipulate blind, the other giving directions, then a rod through the window gap to push the key home and then turn it. Engine started, doors still locked. Then managed to open on the central locking button!
Bloody hell!
I hope you filmed that?
If not, do it again! That is some fine work. To achieve it without coming to blows must have been something!