Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Locked out. Very locked out.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 pm

After replacing the window mechanism cable in the passenger door last week I used the car for a few journeys and all was well. Then the car sat for about 60 hours and when I went to go out on it on Sunday morning, it wouldn't open on the fob and the key in the drivers door did nothing. The lock turned top about the right angle and with the right resistance but nothing happened. Tried spare key, nothing. Tried key in boot, it opened and the alarm went off. I put the spare key on my toothbrush charger, disconnected the main battery (showing a healthy 13.2v) put it on a trickle charger anyway and went to work in my camper.
In the evening I reconnected the battery, still nothing. I opened up the spare key, sure enough a rechargeable cell with 3v stamped on it. Tested and showed 3.0v.
I then tried 'jiggling' the key in the drivers door but this turned out to be a bad idea; the anti tamper measures worked and I pushed the barrel into the door about 10mm and now the barrel just spins.
Tried a slim Jim, levered open the internal handles which raised the lock indicators at the top of the door but they would not open from inside or out. Pressing the central locking button with the slim Jim type tool did nothing.
I'm struggling for more ideas. My GM5 module was a bit temperamental last year and is likely to blame, but I don't really want to smash a window to get into the car! Any ideas greatly appreciated!
E85 3.0 M54 Titanium Silver. 88k. Cotteswolds.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:45 pm

A wild stab tbh, but have you tried turning the key in the lock to the unlock position and holding it there.
Normally that would power the roof down.
You may be lucky and that still works, but I'm not very optimistic.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 pm

I did, and nothing. Not an option now after pushing barrel to hard and it just spins. I know this is seperate issue that I can fix once the doors are open.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm

Jamie25 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 pm I did, and nothing. Not an option now after pushing barrel to hard and it just spins. I know this is seperate issue that I can fix once the doors are open.
B*gg*r!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:14 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm B*gg*r!
And some! Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:18 pm

Deffo a gm5 job needed there once you are in

I can only share experience of similar happening to an e30 lock issue- I claim no responsibility of it working or damaging your motor- I only know it worked for me. The root issue was a worn barrel and after this I rebuilt the lock

Advice was liberally (half a tin liberal) wd40 into the lock using the straw

It solved it for me- but not sure if your lock has gone too far

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:21 pm

What you may need is a decent car thief. :cry:

Call a locksmith. hopefully, after skiming you for much hard earned, they will be in in seconds. :(

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:31 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:18 pm Deffo a gm5 job needed there once you are in

I can only share experience of similar happening to an e30 lock issue- I claim no responsibility of it working or damaging your motor- I only know it worked for me. The root issue was a worn barrel and after this I rebuilt the lock

Advice was liberally (half a tin liberal) wd40 into the lock using the straw

It solved it for me- but not sure if your lock has gone too far
Sadly I think I'm past that as the barrel has now been pushed in. I'm confident the barrel wasn't the issue as before I pushed it too hard it turned the right amount and felt right. It just doesn't unlock!

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:34 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:21 pm What you may need is a decent car thief. :cry:

Call a locksmith. hopefully, after skiming you for much hard earned, they will be in in seconds. :(
Trouble is I think I've done everything a car theif or locksmith would try. Assuming I can source a window for reasonable money, I can replace a window in half an hour or so.

I'm tempted to try and bend the window out again for my slim Jim, but attach the spare key to the end in efforts to get the key in the ignition. Could be VERY tricky inserting it then turning it though.

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:44 pm

It might be possible to bend the window out a little and get a loop onto the inside handle and pull that - I've done that a few times when I needed entry

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:45 pm

No worries bud

Assume that deadlocks are on preventing you pulling the internal door handles across the car

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm

Yeah, the deadlocks are on so despite pulling the handles from the inside it won't unlock. The 'lock indicators' on top of the door lift up as I pull the internal handles but nothing happens.

Haro

Post by Haro » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:24 pm

If you can get something to reach the locking button beside the hazard switch it should unlock.

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Haro wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:24 pm If you can get something to reach the locking button beside the hazard switch it should unlock.
Tried that. Nothing! 😱

Haro

Post by Haro » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Your only hope would be to try and trigger the impact sensor behind the passenger seat. Maybe jack it up and drop it quick? Other than that getting the key in the ignition and turn it or break glass.