Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just Another Roof Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:26 am

So, I know this is a common problem, but i feel like all the tutorials all say the same thing and nothing has worked. My bmw z4 roof will not move an inch, unless manually. I have
- checked and added hydraulic fluid
- ran the roof motor on battery to cycle the fluid
- made sure the red pull was pushing in all the way, and as I was replacing and relocating, made sure the pulley on the motor side was in the correct position
- checked hydraulic lines (they were 11 and 13, and 12 and 14, which matched up with the markings on the motor itself)
- tested motor externally through a battery pack (spins fine)
- disassembled the motor, made sure the spring mechanism was properly linked up to the motor shaft
- blew out any water still in the motor
- pressed the “roof close” button to see the motor bouncing as I have yet to put it in place for the actual relocation, and therefore have the tray and side hinge pulled out
- tested to make sure there was the proper amount of voltage getting to the motor

But I am now completely lost at what more I can do. the Motor sounds, and you can see it spin, but the roof just doesn’t budge. Manual Pin put back in place, and pushing the mechanism to allow it to move (forgot what it was called but i’m sure you probably know what i mean) and all i get is a red light as if the roof was moving back, but it simply doesn’t. It unhinges properly, both way, but doesn’t move. I have check the blue and green, and even reversed them just incase I had misplaced them, but nothing. Any suggestions? :headbang:

NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:10 am

Actually i have a question regarding this problem and certain functions. How would i diagnose a hydraulic pump not sending adequate fluid? or an actuator that has gone bad?

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm

If you’re not losing fluid from the reservoir then you’ve no leak.
I’m not sure from your descriptions of you’ve made sure the brass pin/plunger on the pump is out ?
Often pulling the red hoop will push it in, but releasing the red hoop doesn’t always mean it has sprung back out.

If this is the case it will give you all the symptoms you describe
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

When I had my issues with the first car, when the motor was relocated it was clear the water had badly corroded the area of the brass pin/plunger- so even when I moved the red handle it was ineffective
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm If you’re not losing fluid from the reservoir then you’ve no leak.
I’m not sure from your descriptions of you’ve made sure the brass pin/plunger on the pump is out ?
Often pulling the red hoop will push it in, but releasing the red hoop doesn’t always mean it has sprung back out.

If this is the case it will give you all the symptoms you describe
so with the red pin in, the plunger on the mother should be sprung out? I believe i tried it both ways and it didn’t work, but i will definitely give that a try

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:36 pm

NewToZ4 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:32 pm so with the red pin in, the plunger on the mother should be sprung out? I believe i tried it both ways and it didn’t work, but i will definitely give that a try
Yes. The brass 'ball' on the pump head should spring back out as soon as you release the pressure off it. Not far but there should be an obvious 5mm or so of movement on it, in and out.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:01 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:36 pm
NewToZ4 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:32 pm so with the red pin in, the plunger on the mother should be sprung out? I believe i tried it both ways and it didn’t work, but i will definitely give that a try
Yes. The brass 'ball' on the pump head should spring back out as soon as you release the pressure off it. Not far but there should be an obvious 5mm or so of movement on it, in and out.
Holy, Thank you, got the motor working! the pin was not pushed all the way over (maybe the spring to push it back isn’t functioning right?) anyways, i wad messing with it for hours yesterday, and today my dad comes and within 5 seconds, pushed the pin in, and it sort of clicked and it works. :headbang: thank you for the tip!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:17 am

Enjoy!!!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me