Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front brake caliper removal - HELP

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Any advice on how to remove the 16mm bolts at the back of the caliper holder? They are jammed solid on both my Coupe and son’s roadster and there’s not a lot of space to get leverage. Are they just torqued up really tight, or what? I’m reluctant to start squirting WD40 around in this area.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 am

You're right there's not much space to work getting those out but it's doable. I sometimes use a rubber Mallet on the wrench to help.

Can you slip a tube/breaker bar over the wrench to increase the torque?

One thing I always do is check I'm turning the wrench the right way, as the bolts are facing the wrong way if that makes sense. Made that mistake a couple of times, nothing broken thankfully.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:17 am

I gave up with mine before i did any damage. Even my impact gun wouldn't shift them and there was not enough room to get a decent breaker bar in there with the car on the ground. Up on a lift it'd be fairly easy so I gave it to my garage to sort out.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 am

dhobbs wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 am One thing I always do is check I'm turning the wrench the right way, as the bolts are facing the wrong way if that makes sense. Made that mistake a couple of times, nothing broken thankfully.
They’re normal threads presumably - righty tighty, lefty loosey?
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 am

Zedebee wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 am
dhobbs wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 am One thing I always do is check I'm turning the wrench the right way, as the bolts are facing the wrong way if that makes sense. Made that mistake a couple of times, nothing broken thankfully.
Yes normal-

Mine were same and needed a breaker bar to shift- which meant turning the steering to get better access
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:51 am

Zedebee wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 am
Yeah, normal bolts, just that you are looking at them from the opposite side. Maybe it's just me getting it wrong :oops:
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:57 am

Get some penetrating fluid in there and leave it overnight if necessary, it's counter intuitive but giving a sharp tap on the wrench both ways as if to tighten and loosen (without going bonkers) can break the rust, a long bar and a good quality wrench is a must to avoid rounding-off.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

JamesClements

Post by JamesClements » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:59 am

Similar problem with mine, soaked a couple of rags in penetrant and wrapped them round the bolts over night. You can actually turn the front wheels just enough to get a breaker bar in whilst its on jacks as well. The rears are obviously trickier as you can't do this, but they aren't torqued as high (at least mine weren't :cry:) , I actually managed to get them off with a ring spanner and a fair bit of swearing :thumbsup:
2006 Sapphire Black E86 3.0si | 108's, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach Springs
2007 Carbon Black E85 2.5i | 19" NAD alloys, Pilot Sport 4S, strut brace, Stubby, ZHP, Brembo 4 pots, Greenstuff pads, Alcantara retrim, roof motor in boot
2022 BMW G80 320D Touring

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:49 am

They may well have threadlock on as well so a bit of gentle heat can help.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am

Ewazix wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:57 am Get some penetrating fluid in there and leave it overnight if necessary, it's counter intuitive but giving a sharp tap on the wrench both ways as if to tighten and loosen (without going bonkers) can break the rust
This is what I did and then used a rubber mallet as suggested by dhobbs . Impact wrench didn`t do anything .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Thanks for your help and advice chaps. Tried full lock (don’t know why I didn’t think of that, i’ve always just jacked up the car with wheels straight ahead!). Full lock gives you access to enough range of movement with a breaker bar to unstick the bottom bolt. Can’t get at the top bolt though, because the brake hose is in the way. I’ll de-mount the calliper from the bracket tomorrow and should be able to get at it then.