Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine cooling fan issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DorsetWurzel

Post by DorsetWurzel » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Since having my Z4 I’ve noticed the heater in the cabin still blows slightly warm air when set to cold, also, the AC doesn’t seem to kick the cooling fan on.

So today I got a Regan kit from Hellfrauds and went to top up the refrigerant as I thought it might be low, it was but not enough to stop the ax compressor switching on when the AC button is pressed.

So basically I have a fully charged AC system, but when I switch it on the engine cooling fan doesn’t come on to cool the refrigerant in the system, I’ve not left the car idling to see if it kicks in when it gets hot though. But, if I unplug the fan at the connector with the car running and then plug it back in the cooling fan runs at full speed. The plug has a good ground and power feed and 4V at the green and black wire.

Totally confused as to why this is not working. Has anyone else had similar?

The car is a 2007 3.0Si with a blacktop N52 engine.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 pm

The fan doesn't come on in my MR just because I switch the aircon on. I would guess there is a sensor somewhere that tells it when it should come on, rather than simply when the switch is pressed.

DorsetWurzel

Post by DorsetWurzel » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm

The fan should come on with the AC to expel excess heat from the refrigerant