Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Motor Hydraulic Lines Sequence FIXED

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I know this is yet another roof motor thread, I have just taken it apart to refurbish the motor and hydraulic pump. Stupidly I did not take note of the sequence the hydraulic lines are supposed to be connected. I had seen a picture on here prior to doing the job but now I can’t find it for the life of me!

Is anybody able to share a picture or let me know if looking at them which is:

near left
Far left
Near right
Far right

In terms of 11, 12, 13, 14?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Ali0191 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BumpyZ4

Roof Motor Hydraulic Lines Sequence

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:12 pm

My housing and hoses were both marked with the numbers so you couldn't install them incorrectly.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:23 pm

I think they go 11&13 together and 12&14 together. It doesn’t matter which side, you just reverse the electrical connectors until up is up and down is down on the switch
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:23 pm I think they go 11&13 together and 12&14 together. It doesn’t matter which side, you just reverse the electrical connectors until up is up and down is down on the switch
Awesome, thank you.

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:06 pm

So I am pretty confident that I have set everything up correctly. Motor is working well, hydraulics are all connected correctly and the hydraulic release (red pull tab) is working correctly. Checked the line and that the pin under the plastic housing isn’t getting stuck.

My issue is when I press the button the roof detaches and the motor kicks in but nothing happens for both up and down.

I have tried bleeding the system by manually moving up and down, slightly concerned the roof can go most of the way down then back up to half way without the hydraulic release pulled though.

When I do move the roof all the way down the hydraulic oil reservoir looks completely empty compared to mostly full when the roof is up. Due to this I am thinking there is basically no oil left in the system so when I try to bleed it there isn’t even enough oil to push the air out?

On my way to get some trolley jack oil but just wondered if any of the experts might think there’s an issue I’m not aware of?

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Ali0191 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:06 pm So I am pretty confident that I have set everything up correctly. Motor is working well, hydraulics are all connected correctly and the hydraulic release (red pull tab) is working correctly. Checked the line and that the pin under the plastic housing isn’t getting stuck.

My issue is when I press the button the roof detaches and the motor kicks in but nothing happens for both up and down.

I have tried bleeding the system by manually moving up and down, slightly concerned the roof can go most of the way down then back up to half way without the hydraulic release pulled though.

When I do move the roof all the way down the hydraulic oil reservoir looks completely empty compared to mostly full when the roof is up. Due to this I am thinking there is basically no oil left in the system so when I try to bleed it there isn’t even enough oil to push the air out?

On my way to get some trolley jack oil but just wondered if any of the experts might think there’s an issue I’m not aware of?
I am having the very same problem. The roof stopped working cleanly at the weekend, but still went up and down with a bit of manual assistance. Now it just unlatches the roof, the motor is whirring but the roof is not retracting.

I have looked at the hose lines and checked they are aligned with the holes in the bolts which they are, I've also topped up the hydraulic fluid just to be sure, neither have made any difference. I also removed the bowden cable from the motor in case that was inadvertently activated but again no difference.

My motor is located in the boot, I don't know when it was moved there (I have owned the car since November 2020).

I'm not sure where to go next in the triage, can the motor still work enough to turn but not strong enough to operate the hydraulics?

I also noticed that the bolt at the top of the fluid reservoir screws in (with the rubber washer) but never really tightens to completion like a normal screw would. Could that be an issue? Perhaps not sealing the system properly?

Open to all suggestions please.

Thanks in advance for the help / ideas.
I thought this picture might help with the hose connection sequence:
I thought this picture might help with the hose connection sequence:
IMG_2017.jpg (156.18 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:35 pm

So I got my new hydraulic oil through today, had to buy 1L but only used 20ml so if anyone is in the Wokingham area and needs hydraulic oil let me know!

I filled the reservoir then manually lifted the roof up and down to bleed the system. After 3 or 4 goes it actually wouldn’t let me do it anymore halfway up so I returned it to the down position (not sure if this is a separate issue I should be concerned about?).

Released the hydraulic bypass red pull thing and went to use the roof up button. There was definitely something happening then I noticed it was trying to go up but lock was holding it in the down position. Reversed the polarity thanks to what Number5 said and there we go it is working a treat.

David,

From my limited experience these last couple of days I would start with filling your reservoir to the very top (unless they pic is from before you refilled!). Mine was that kind of level and definitely needed filling. Then manually lift up and down at least a few times.

Then if you are still having issues simply swap the power cables to see if that helps!

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Ali0191 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:35 pm
I filled the reservoir then manually lifted the roof up and down to bleed the system. After 3 or 4 goes it actually wouldn’t let me do it anymore halfway up so I returned it to the down position (not sure if this is a separate issue I should be concerned about?).
Thanks. When you say you blended the system lifting and lowering the roof manually do you do that with the hydraulic system closed?

When I’ve been filling my reservoir there’s a limit to how much I can put in, the hole is below the top of the reservoir so I can’t ‘fill’ the reservoir to the top. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:35 pm

davidmudley12 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:03 pm
Ali0191 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:35 pm
Thanks. When you say you blended the system lifting and lowering the roof manually do you do that with the hydraulic system closed?

When I’ve been filling my reservoir there’s a limit to how much I can put in, the hole is below the top of the reservoir so I can’t ‘fill’ the reservoir to the top. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks
I bled it with the system open (I think, red tab pulled?)

Not sure about a trick, I was able to get the oil near the top of the reservoir. I used an old calpol syringe if you have kids! In that picture I can’t even see the oil level so I managed to get it a lot higher.

I am assuming there’s a tube for the screw to thread into. I did mine at a slight angle so maybe that will help the oil level up around?

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:11 pm

The body of the pump is marked where the lines go (see red circle in the picture below). If you put the lines opposite of the markings (as it is in this picture) you will have to swap the wires at the motor to make it work correctly. It also does not matter which line is in the front or back as long as both lines are paired up correctly (11&13 - 12&14)
Attachments
InkedIMG_2017_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_2017_LI.jpg (157.18 KiB) Viewed 240 times
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)