Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GM5 Question

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
letzgostate

GM5 Question

Post by letzgostate » Sat May 22, 2021 4:04 pm

Hello,

This is my first post. I tried to search for the answer prior to posting. I did see that there was some discussion. I have BMW Scanner 1.4 if that helps below, but here goes with my issue:

I have a 2003 2.5 5 speed. I bought it used a couple of years ago. I was having issues with the locks but decided to buy a new GM5 module because at some point a rodent got in there and urinated and defecated all over the board. I know there are options to have new relays put in the old board. The new GM5 has everything working but the driver window. It won’t go up and there is no sound or energy drain showing when using the window switch. I put in the old GM5 and sure enough, the windows work but the lock relays are of course shot.

The replacement GM5 I have, is the 9th rendition and the newest and only replacement part available as they don’t make the old ones anymore. Even the new ones are on back order in the US in Germany with the last order being last August and no date in sight for them to be delivered. Literally the only thing not functioning in the new one is the driver window. Which makes me think the driver side window relay is defective.

Am I missing anything? Would programming at a dealer or shop somehow fix something? I can’t imagine that with everything functioning but the one window, that it could be a programming thing. Does anybody have any insight that might help?

Is it worth it for me to try and desolder the relay out of the old board and replace the one on the new board?
Attachments
IMG_5044.JPG
IMG_5044.JPG (295.52 KiB) Viewed 633 times
2003 Z4 E85 2.5 Manual

SamuelL421

GM5 Question

Post by SamuelL421 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:01 pm

I came across this and saw you never got a response - I was just updating an old post I had about a 2003 GM5 issue and figured I'd chime in - just in case you never sorted this.

I would get new relays for your original board. I had these relays replaced on mine (original GM5) to resolve all the problems I had. Back when I was originally researching this problem I came across a few mentions of people with issues after installing new GM5 modules so that seems to be the riskier option.

I have decent soldering skills but much less experience in desoldering. I paid someone to do it for me as I don't have decent desoldering tools and was not confident I could get the old relays pulled without lifting off the pads under them (contacts on the board). If you don't have quality desoldering equipment and experience, I'd recommend sending your old GM5 to someone for the replacement.

EDIT: I see you are US as well, call Scott from BMW GM5 repair in CA - https://www.bmwgm5.com/
2003 3.0 E85

BumpyZ4

GM5 Question

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:30 pm

Did the drivers window work with the old GM5? If so the relay is bad in the new one.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Wortmanov

GM5 Question

Post by Wortmanov » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Did you ever get this resolved?
I'd be looking at the new GM5 (the STAR12 versions have NEC relays with far lower failure rates). Was this pulled from another car (E46)?

Having replaced mine recently, I did code an empty MAN file through NCS after connecting the new GM5.
This forces the module to read the configuration from the VO (basically so it knows which car it is, which options are installed etc). After that you can just code back any custom elements you'd like.

Have you also tried the window with the door closed and ignition on? I believe there are coding options to disable the power window in the front. There are definitely options to disable window operation without ignition on etc.

Coding is very doable, if you have a cable. Those are not that expensive (and are very useful, regardless of this).