Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Black soot coming out of exhaust

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 09, 2021 7:29 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:30 pm
Rachel!!!! wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:09 pm That's interesting to see you have the same issue. I've just read your thread.

I've attached a pic of my engine can anyone point me in the right direction of where the ccv hose is that I need to check?
It’s attached to the back of the head, by the bulkhead & leads to the ccv which pipes down to the inlet manifold & the sump.
Rob
Hi Rob,
Never worked on this engine, but it is likely I'll be helping Rachel out with this. Is it easy to remove the actual ccv valve thingummy? Can it be cleaned out, or is it a complete replacement job?)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am

Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:29 am
Smartbear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:30 pm
Rachel!!!! wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:09 pm That's interesting to see you have the same issue. I've just read your thread.

I've attached a pic of my engine can anyone point me in the right direction of where the ccv hose is that I need to check?
It’s attached to the back of the head, by the bulkhead & leads to the ccv which pipes down to the inlet manifold & the sump.
Rob
Hi Rob,
Never worked on this engine, but it is likely I'll be helping Rachel out with this. Is it easy to remove the actual ccv valve thingummy? Can it be cleaned out, or is it a complete replacement job?)
It’s tucked underneath the inlet manifold, probably easier to remove that to gain access. Personally I’d replace the whole lot while it’s in bits.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am
enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:29 am
Smartbear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:30 pm It’s attached to the back of the head, by the bulkhead & leads to the ccv which pipes down to the inlet manifold & the sump.
Rob
Hi Rob,
It’s tucked underneath the inlet manifold, probably easier to remove that to gain access. Personally I’d replace the whole lot while it’s in bits.
Rob
Agreed. If it comes to that and its that big a job, would be daft to put the old stuff back in place. Cheers Rob.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Rachel!!!!

Post by Rachel!!!! » Mon May 17, 2021 6:49 pm

I've finally had a chance to get a few things looked at by a friend. A few possible issues were found but I'm still none the wiser so if anyone could shed some light on if the things we have found are normal or not and if some of the other things seem connected or separate issues.

Oil is leaking from the filler cap

The spark plugs look like they could do with being changed, there was some oil in the bottom of where the spark plug fits in 2 of them and the coil pack smells of oil.

The oil filter housing makes a bit of a noise when revved, which after googling I've seen could just be a case of needing to fit a new filter?

Disa valve was taken off and as you can see from the pictures there seemed to be quite a bit of oil on it and in the pipe behind. Is this a normal amount or an excessive amount?

We didn't get time to take the ccv hose off but will be doing that soon.
Attachments
IMG_20210514_144836.jpg
IMG_20210514_144836.jpg (226.35 KiB) Viewed 497 times
IMG_20210514_143331.jpg
IMG_20210514_143331.jpg (145.18 KiB) Viewed 497 times
IMG_20210514_140249.jpg
IMG_20210514_140249.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 497 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 17, 2021 7:27 pm

That’s not normal, the ccv vents into the inlet manifold where the oily fumes are burnt by the engine.
I’d replace all the ccv components & possibly the cam cover gaskets as well.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon May 17, 2021 7:49 pm

if it helps- both DISA i've taken out on my cars have been bone dry, no oil

I would think its a blocked CCV set up-

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

zriha

Post by zriha » Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm

To be certain about the oil drops, did you make a simple "white handkerchief test" ?
Start the car, let someone at the starting put a white handkerchief on the exhaust pipes. Let the car warm up, test it.
There shouldn't be any oil species on the handkerchief. If there are, then the oil is coming from the engine thru the exhaust.

My case - they are white, no oil residue, so I am still searching like you! :)
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)

Rachel!!!!

Post by Rachel!!!! » Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:49 pm if it helps- both DISA i've taken out on my cars have been bone dry, no oil

That does help, thank you.

I haven't put anything over the exhaust but we did run the car upto temperature and while one revved the engine the other looked at the exhaust and it's definately spitting from the exhaust.

So if it's looking like the ccv system I'm going to have to get a mechanic onto this.

Would a blocked ccv system cause the oil filter housing noise, the leaking from the filler cap and the smell of oil in the coil pack? Does it all sound like part of the same problem?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Rachel!!!! wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 pm
bigwinn wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:49 pm if it helps- both DISA i've taken out on my cars have been bone dry, no oil

That does help, thank you.

I haven't put anything over the exhaust but we did run the car upto temperature and while one revved the engine the other looked at the exhaust and it's definately spitting from the exhaust.

So if it's looking like the ccv system I'm going to have to get a mechanic onto this.

Would a blocked ccv system cause the oil filter housing noise, the leaking from the filler cap and the smell of oil in the coil pack? Does it all sound like part of the same problem?
It can do, a blocked ccv will change the amount of vacuum in the engine and can cause gaskets to fail etc.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 17, 2021 10:03 pm

zriha wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm To be certain about the oil drops, did you make a simple "white handkerchief test" ?
Start the car, let someone at the starting put a white handkerchief on the exhaust pipes. Let the car warm up, test it.
There shouldn't be any oil species on the handkerchief. If there are, then the oil is coming from the engine thru the exhaust.

My case - they are white, no oil residue, so I am still searching like you! :)
No need to test, there’s oil in the inlet manifold as proved by the pics, when this occurs the engine will burn it.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon May 17, 2021 10:11 pm

Plenty of ways to test a failing CCV I believe

The main one is see if you can remove the oil filler cap with engine running- if vacuum holds it on then that’s an indication of a failure?

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Mon May 17, 2021 10:13 pm

Rocker cover caps can show oil by hamfisted people who miss the hole when refilling the engine from top ups or oil changes. I found the same issue as you and cleaned up the oil and monitored and never returned for me.
This could still be a problem with pressure with the ccv which may cause excessive pressure though on yours and oil to vapourise out the cover.
E86 In sapphire black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 17, 2021 10:17 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:11 pm Plenty of ways to test a failing CCV I believe

The main one is see if you can remove the oil filler cap with engine running- if vacuum holds it on then that’s an indication of a failure?
It can be difficult to gauge if the amount of vacuum within the engine is correct, the fact the inlet manifold is coated in oil internally points to the ccv depositing it there :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Rachel!!!!

Post by Rachel!!!! » Tue May 18, 2021 6:35 am

Thrustyjust wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:13 pm Rocker cover caps can show oil by hamfisted people who miss the hole when refilling the engine from top ups or oil changes. I found the same issue as you and cleaned up the oil and monitored and never returned for me.
This could still be a problem with pressure with the ccv which may cause excessive pressure though on yours and oil to vapourise out the cover.
Thanks, a tiny bit has returned after cleaning it up and driving it so it doesn't appear to just be a spillage.

The car isn't using any oil though which seems to be the main symptom usually from what I've found through Google 😂 Does this just mean it's not got that bad yet and that's what would happen next if left alone? I topped up with 1 litre in Nov and it's only 1 bar down on the digital gauge and has been for ages.