Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My car is falling to bits and I feel powerless :(

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AC5L4T3R

Post by AC5L4T3R » Mon May 17, 2021 12:01 pm

Got my very handy neighbor to do it yesterday, job done in about 10 minutes. After 5 years of owning this car, there are absolutely no lights on the dashboard anymore :lol: It's strangely weird not seeing anything lit up. One step closer to getting a TUV.

Next on the list is to replace the control arms and find out where the coolant is leaking from. I hope it's the expansion tank as I already have a new one ready to install.
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i - RHD car living in a LHD country.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 pm

Great news. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you are getting close to being able to just enjoy driving it. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AC5L4T3R

Post by AC5L4T3R » Sun May 30, 2021 2:36 pm

Went to the Workstadt with control-arms in hand ready to change. Spent 2 hours trying to get right hand control arm off the joint where the disc and caliper are with no joy. The guys that own the place said a mechanic they know would do it for 350 euros (change front and back discs and pads, both control arms and my expansion tank). Dropped off the car on Friday at 4pm and picked it up yesterday at 4pm all ready to go.

Now all that's left is to take it for the TUV and hope it passes. Then I can finally move on to fixing the roof motor, finding out why the key doesn't work, get facelift rear bumper sprayed and facelift rear lights fitted. :rofl:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 31, 2021 9:38 am

See, you're getting there after all. Good to hear you're working your way through it all.
Good luck with the rest.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AC5L4T3R

Post by AC5L4T3R » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:30 pm

So before I took it for a TUV, I got new PS4's fitted 265/30/19 on rear and 235/35/19 on front. Look very smart! Went to get the wheel alignment done today but they couldn't do it as the car is too low :rofl: Said I have to take it for 3D alignment and BMW (although I'll try and find an Indie that does it).

I've also noticed that since having my rotors and pads changed, the theres high pitched squeeling coming from the rear wheels at slow speed, a bit like when you leave the handbrake half-cooked. Goes away once I'm over 5-10mph but before that it's quite loud. Any one have an idea what it could be?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:41 pm

AC5L4T3R wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:30 pm I've also noticed that since having my rotors and pads changed, the theres high pitched squeeling coming from the rear wheels at slow speed, a bit like when you leave the handbrake half-cooked. Goes away once I'm over 5-10mph but before that it's quite loud. Any one have an idea what it could be?
Could maybe just that they're slow to bed in and the dust is sticking in the pad until you speed up and clear it.
Have you tried leaving it in gear with the handbrake off, to see if it still does it the next time?
I think I'd leave it for a few miles yet and see if it goes away.
Bear in mind the rear brakes don't get much to do, so won't bed in as quickly as the fronts.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: