Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help Needed Please! Bi-Xenon issue.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
StatusDenied

Post by StatusDenied » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi guys,

First post, and I'm afraid it's a help request! This problem is driving me mad.

Bought a Z4 a week ago, and its bloody lovely, but the bloke selling it told me a xenon had a bulb out on the drivers side, no problem haggled him down a bit.

Found it odd however the dash wasn't posting a warning symbol.

Anyway, I've checked the bulb and ignitor from the drivers side on the passengers side, and they work fine so its not them. So i replaced the ballast/control module presuming it was that as the last thing out of the three typical issues. Still didn't work on the drivers side.

So i took the whole xenon unit from the drivers side and plugged it into the passengers side and hey presto, it works? Which means it's the electrical wiring to the back, or something else?

Any suggestions on what I should be checking at this point. I want to enjoy the car and it's already in parts on the drive.

My thought next was to remove both headlights, and turn the lights on and then use a multimeter to work out which pin should be serving 12v in the connector block, and then see if the same pin on the non working side is serving the 12v aswell?

I've checked the 4 fuses, and all seem ok. Even swapped the two 40a fuses around. Passenger side works, xenon on driver side still doesnt. Oddly everything else works on driver side including auto leveller. Just not the high/low beam.

HU51A_FU

Post by HU51A_FU » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:37 pm

I feel your pain, i had loads of issues with my xenon headlights one and i put it down to a faulty headlight so i just replaced both units and hey presto!

I would trace the source but i think maybe its looking like a headlight wiring loom replacement which unless you know what your doing i wouldnt trust myself cutting looms and splicing new looms in to the car...

StatusDenied

Post by StatusDenied » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 pm

Ah ive determined which is the earth and live for the xenon, so i can multimeter it later and do a continuity test on the earth.