Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel speed sensor? Advise needed please

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Yesterday I fitted new front callipers, new discs and new pads to wifey's 2.5i.
I did quick swaps of the callipers, with minimal fluid loss and bled them with an eezibleed. At no point did the reservoir level drop more than about 5mm (I'm paranoid, so I kept checking that).
Went for a test drive and the brakes are great. Bedded them in and they work perfectly.

However, I very quickly got an array of yellow lights. Handbrake, DTC, ABS and flat tyre. Tyre pressures all spot on and fluid still full.
Checked the codes - left front wheel speed sensor. Reset, took it for a run and they all came back. Again the only code is left front wheel speed sensor.

So today I took out that sensor and indeed I found a small amount of iron filings stuck to the side of it, not the tip. I cleaned it all off and put it back together.
Test run, same lights and same code!

Everything was perfect before I started. Ironically it was the front right calliper binding so it was only my ocd that disturbed the left at all. Dammit!
However, that calliper was looking pretty corroded too, so needed doing.

My question to you all is............... is it possible for a perfectly good sensor to fail like that?
I did have to smack the disc off with a hammer, but I didn't hit anything else. Could the shock bugger up the sensor?

Or am I looking for something else?

Initial reaction is to buy a new sensor anyway, but not if it's likely to be another issue.

All help and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm

If you haven’t already, plug the suspected sensor on the right hand side, with a reset and make sure the fault then reads to the right. That should help rule it in / out as the sensor only.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:02 pm

-Tom- wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm If you haven’t already, plug the suspected sensor on the right hand side, with a reset and make sure the fault then reads to the right. That should help rule it in / out as the sensor only.
Good idea. I assume they're interchangeable then?
I was randomly googling and I'm sure I saw some that said LH or RH?

Wifey suggested it was time to go to the indy, especially as it's due an MOT and he could fix it at the same time.
However, if his code says the same as mine I'm sure he'd recommend ruling out the sensor first, so I may as well do it myself!

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:56 pm

Yes they should do. The loom could well be different lengths to the connector for the different sides, but for the purpose of just plugging it in to run the checks then it should be fine.

Had many hours of fun with an r55 mini ... :roll:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:00 pm

-Tom- wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:56 pm Yes they should do. The loom could well be different lengths to the connector for the different sides, but for the purpose of just plugging it in to run the checks then it should be fine.

Had many hours of fun with an r55 mini ... :roll:
OK ta.
Now wrestling with the dilemma of disturbing the side I know IS working versus the cost of a new sensor for the left, on spec.

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but at risk of damaging a good sensor then leave the known working sensor in the hub, just unplug it at the connector and attach the possible faulty one. If the left sensor is at fault, you’d then have a reading of both fronts being at fault (as the left would be missing).
-Tesla M3 LR

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:06 pm

-Tom- wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 pm Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but at risk of damaging a good sensor then leave the known working sensor in the hub, just unplug it at the connector and attach the possible faulty one. If the left sensor is at fault, you’d then have a reading of both fronts being at fault (as the left would be missing).
Err? Given that it only throws a fault once the wheel starts turning, not fitting it would show a fault regardless, surely?

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:14 pm

I’m probably not explaining it properly. I’d still be swapping them over. If the fault moves then a sensor is a nice cheap repair.

For reference when my left sensor was showing as failed, INPA showed it to be reading max speed whilst stationary. I swapped the front sensors over and the same fault still showed, on the left. From there I was then able to try a few other things that got it sorted.
-Tesla M3 LR

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Make sure you use contact cleaner to clean those sensors. don't use anything like wd40.
I had a lot of fun trying to wrestle one of those back to life not long ago! grr
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:58 am

Chris_D wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 pm Make sure you use contact cleaner to clean those sensors. don't use anything like wd40.
I had a lot of fun trying to wrestle one of those back to life not long ago! grr
Hi Chris, I assume you mean the electrical connector end?
I haven't disturbed that at all so far, just pulled the sensor from the hub and cleaned it. I only used a cloth, without any cleaner on it.
However, I did use a fair bit of spray 3-in-1 on various bolts when changing the callipers.
The sensor had iron filings like a hairbrush on the side, but nothing on the front face.

Did you manage to sort yours, or buy new?

It just seems odd that it has happened during other work in that area, so I'm wondering if the shock of the hammer hitting the back of the disc was enough to rattle it into submission.

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am

It might not be the sensor - have a squint in the sensor hole and make sure the wheel is clean and has no debris trapped in it.
The sensor should not have iron filings on it ?
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:59 am

Rucky wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am It might not be the sensor - have a squint in the sensor hole and make sure the wheel is clean and has no debris trapped in it.
The sensor should not have iron filings on it ?
I did think that, but the deposits don't look recent. Could have been there years maybe?
I managed to cut down a stiff bristle brush and push it against the back of the hub, through the hole, while spinning the wheel. It came out clean.
I have ordered a new sensor anyway (always good to have a spare!), as I'm fed up with continually taking the wheel off, especially on my gravel drive! Plan is to swap it, combined with another bloody good clean out, then see what happens.

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm

I did mention on another post that my pattern sensors fitted were 1mm longer than the BMW ones but I only found out when one of the replacements failed after rubbing the toothed wheel !
you might wish to check length back to back when you fit just to be sure.
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:34 pm

Rucky wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm I did mention on another post that my pattern sensors fitted were 1mm longer than the BMW ones but I only found out when one of the replacements failed after rubbing the toothed wheel !
you might wish to check length back to back when you fit just to be sure.
Yes I remembered reading that. I toyed with the idea of using a thin washer to space it out properly, but then thought sod it and bought genuine.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:36 pm

-Tom- wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:14 pm I’m probably not explaining it properly. I’d still be swapping them over. If the fault moves then a sensor is a nice cheap repair.

For reference when my left sensor was showing as failed, INPA showed it to be reading max speed whilst stationary. I swapped the front sensors over and the same fault still showed, on the left. From there I was then able to try a few other things that got it sorted.
Ah, a light has come on! In my head, not another one on the dash. :roll:
So if i go to the car now and do a real time check while stationary there is a slight chance it'll show max speed rather than zero. In which case your swap plan makes sense. I'll give it a go.

What did your issue turn out to be?

EDIT: Just tried that and all four read zero. Wfh so when I get a break I'll run it up the road for live readings.