Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel speed sensor? Advise needed please

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:09 pm

With the sensor installed unplug the harness and put an Ohm meter on it and spin the wheel. If the ohm meter readings don't move while the wheel is spinning the sensor is bad.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:09 am

BumpyZ4 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:09 pm With the sensor installed unplug the harness and put an Ohm meter on it and spin the wheel. If the ohm meter readings don't move while the wheel is spinning the sensor is bad.
Thanks, I'll try that too. All good ideas for furthering my knowledge of fault finding electrickery, if nothing else.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Well BumpyZ4, I'm afraid I failed to follow your advice as the new sensor arrived and I thought, sod it, just fit it.
I did, and it worked!
The original was marked up 'BMW' on one side and 'ATE' on the other. My guess is that it's the original, 17-y-o, 100k miles on it. Hammering the old disc to unstick it from the hub was probably enough to kill it, just though the transmitted shock. Maybe the wiring was getting brittle and that was the final straw?
So now all I have to do is wash the car and hand the keys back to 'management'. Weather is supposed to be good here over the weekend, so she'll no doubt be in full Thelma and Louise mode.......................well, socially distanced Thelma anyway :D
I shall rest on my laurels and watch the rugby. :wink:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Good work! :driving:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 am

Woke up in a cold sweat at 3am, convinced I didn't remember taking the locking wheel nut adaptor back off the wheel.
Sure enough, at 7am this morning I found it 300 yards up the road, still intact!

Off to buy a lottery ticket now! :roll:

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:52 pm

:thumbsup:
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)