Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Arbuckle

Condensation issues

Post by Arbuckle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:14 pm

I have a major condensation issue. Living in rainy snowy Scotland and inside my car windscreen is always soaking wet with condensation. I changed the cabin filter last week but I didn’t think that would make a difference and it hasn’t.
Behind my driver seat is damp on the carpet. But the passenger side is dry.
Also in my boot the passenger side cubby hole is wet but the drivers side is dry ?
My initial thoughts are drain holes infront of back wheels could be blocked so I’m going to grab a trolley Jack and get into them just now. Also I can physically see that the seal round my 3rd break light has perished. Is this something you buy whole or do you just use some sealant. Any recommendations ?
When I lifted the carpet in the boot there was no water in the battery compartment and as I said drivers side was dry. The carpet was wet passenger side but when I lifted it open it hadn’t pooled or anything. Could it just be dripping down to one side from the brake light because the drive is on a slight slope ?

brillomaster

Condensation issues

Post by brillomaster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Water can definitely get in around the third brake light, just replace the entire assembly. If any of the original rubber seal is left, it will be very brittle by now.

Then check drain holes as you say.

If theyre free, then you just have to get the interior dry, so a/c on whenever the car is running, and dehumidifying pads, water traps etc to absorb the interior moisture. If youre cheap, cat litter or rice absorbs water too, but obviously isnt reuseable.

Arbuckle

Condensation issues

Post by Arbuckle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:15 pm

So. Took the drain hole covers off that were in front of the back wheel arches and they were in ok condition. Not clogged up.

The boot leak im almost convinced is coming from third brake light
Attachments
61717518-7820-4F18-9708-8EA435BB308C.jpeg
61717518-7820-4F18-9708-8EA435BB308C.jpeg (182.03 KiB) Viewed 427 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.01 KiB) Viewed 427 times

davidmudley12

Condensation issues

Post by davidmudley12 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:00 pm

The evidence is certainly pointing towards the third brake light. I’m not sure if they sell the rubber seal on its own, fingers crossed you can get one as it would be a waste (and expensive) to have to get a whole new light (about £80).
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

Arbuckle

Condensation issues

Post by Arbuckle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:31 pm

I’m at a loss here. Had my car out this morning for a drive. Cleared the soaking windows. Air con and heaters on full blast for an hour or 2.

Came in there for my lunch and this is what I’m back to in about half hour later.
Attachments
FCED57AD-282C-4B0E-A3E0-7A150D2E76E1.jpeg
FCED57AD-282C-4B0E-A3E0-7A150D2E76E1.jpeg (151.01 KiB) Viewed 409 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Condensation issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Arbuckle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:31 pm I’m at a loss here. Had my car out this morning for a drive. Cleared the soaking windows. Air con and heaters on full blast for an hour or 2.

Came in there for my lunch and this is what I’m back to in about half hour later.
If the water has soaked into the carpets of insulation then it is going to take a good few days to dry it all out.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

brillomaster

Condensation issues

Post by brillomaster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm

lots of these... 2 in the boot, one in each footwell.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dehumidifier-C ... ljaz10cnVl

That third brake light definitely looks like its had it. when mine went i went for an ebay special for about £30. when you replace it, dont overtighten the screws otherwise it'll crack!

Arbuckle

Condensation issues

Post by Arbuckle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Yeh have 4 of them wee boxes in just now. Still doesn’t help me how the waters getting into the carpet though. The drain holes were both clear under the car and I can’t see anything leaking from the roof or that.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Condensation issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Arbuckle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:02 pm Yeh have 4 of them wee boxes in just now. Still doesn’t help me how the waters getting into the carpet though. The drain holes were both clear under the car and I can’t see anything leaking from the roof or that.
Are you being distracted to the rear end perhaps?
It may be you have another leak round the doors, or window frames?
Also, are you sure the wells in front of the rear wheels are actually empty?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

clarker63

Condensation issues

Post by clarker63 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:15 pm

the only way you can be sure is to remove all the trim from the offending areas, but thats a lot of hassle. If there's any pools of water in the car it will take a very long time to get them gone - especially if they are under the carpets or trim in the boot.

Looking at your post I think you probably have a leak in the front (with wet carpets behind the drivers seat), which could be a range of things. seals around the windows/roof, vapour barriers in the door, and around the door seals for a start...and probably another leak in the boot. what you can see on the boot lid looks to me like condensation, not necessarily where the water is coming in from....

Water ingress is (I think) one of the hardest things to either identify or fix. I tend to leave a window slightly open for a short while after a drive to allow the hot/water carrying vapour out - especially at this time of year when its cold, otherwise it all condenses on the glass - and then hopefully it starts to dry out..
Last edited by clarker63 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbuckle

Condensation issues

Post by Arbuckle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:18 pm

I initially thought there could be a leak coming from where the a pillar meets the roof. I noticed when driving one day a few weeks back I got a couple drips from there onto my leg. But I dried it up this morning and sat with the hose on it for 5 mins and nothing came through. On either side.

I don’t know if the wells are empty I’m basing that on the drain holes at bottom not being choked up.

clarker63

Condensation issues

Post by clarker63 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Arbuckle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:18 pm But I dried it up this morning and sat with the hose on it for 5 mins and nothing came through. On either side.
I feel your pain. been there a few times myself! I'd suggest a bit of investigation under the carpets to prove its not still soaking wet there and in the boot too.

Big Andra

Condensation issues

Post by Big Andra » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Have you had the door card off to check the membrane behind it isn't split? Water can sneak in there too if it's not sealed properly to the door.
2009 E89 2.5 Alpine white.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Condensation issues

Post by Chris_D » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:36 pm

I had water ingress for ages. Tried everything you tried.
Dried under the carpets by stuffing small towels between the carpet split behind the seats.
Then decided to tackle the front scuttle. Gave it all a clean out and made sure there was no drip path past the scuttle and via the firewall. been dry ever since. posted about it a way back if you can be bothered trawling through my posts. or search 'water ingress' i suggest.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Condensation issues

Post by patriot66 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 pm

Arbuckle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:18 pm I initially thought there could be a leak coming from where the a pillar meets the roof. I noticed when driving one day a few weeks back I got a couple drips from there onto my leg. But I dried it up this morning and sat with the hose on it for 5 mins and nothing came through. On either side.

I don’t know if the wells are empty I’m basing that on the drain holes at bottom not being choked up.
An easy way to check if the drain holes are blocked : Carefully insert a funnel between the hood and rubber trim at point A in my photo. Pour in about half a pint of water from a measuring jug and a second or two later it should start to run out in the area of B. Try and catch it all in the measuring jug. If the full amount does not go back into the jug then the drain hole is blocked/partially blocked and the water is either sitting in the well at the top or leaking out somewhere else like in the boot or the carpets under the seats :thumbsup:
20210217_212933.jpg
20210217_212933.jpg (114.38 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !