Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wipers/Central locking/Boot Release & windows - with high pitched noise!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
nigelcrockard

Post by nigelcrockard » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Had my Z4 about a year, 2007. Been perfect until this morning, all of a sudden, high pitched alarm from rear, wipers not working, electric windows not working, and central locking not working, car starting/driving perfectly, I replaced the battery today in case it was a battery problem, but still alarm sets off, not normal alarm, a constant tone high pitch, lasting about 30 seconds or so and then repeats, and whilst driving, I have no warning lights. I have had to disconnect the battery for it to stop. Any ideas, help or advice please?
Last edited by nigelcrockard on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Help/Advice required please!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum by the way. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your alarm issue. I'm not too conversant with car electrics, but quite a few people on here have had bonnet switches fail that result in the alarm going off all the time. It's near the back of the engine bay. You could try disconnecting that and see if that cures it.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

nigelcrockard

Post by nigelcrockard » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Thank you. Been looking also and maybe thinking its GM5 Module issue, but if so wondering why the high pitched 30s plus alarm sounding is all about? Wondering if anyone else on here has had a similar problem that I have?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Here is a link to another thread about alarm issues, and there is a link in it to another one:- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124546&p=1796560&hi ... m#p1796560

Alarms on Z4s do seem to cause some problems!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

tug

Post by tug » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:03 am

Mate, before you do anything else pull fuse 10 and replace. Hope this cures it for you.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:26 am

nigelcrockard wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm Thank you. Been looking also and maybe thinking its GM5 Module issue, but if so wondering why the high pitched 30s plus alarm sounding is all about? Wondering if anyone else on here has had a similar problem that I have?
My first thought was GM5 module. I had very similar to you, high pitched noise like alarm but quieter and central locking not working. Don’t think I tried anything else. It happened on a very cold day and never again since.

tug

Post by tug » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 am

Its definitely not the GM5. It will be fuse 10. Hopefully this will cure it for Nigel.

nigelcrockard

Post by nigelcrockard » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Superb guys, something so simple, fuse 10 it was... Just with the alarm and stuff thought something more serious. Thank you srhutch, Tug & Mr Tidy for replying. Happy man here again! Happy New Year all!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:48 pm

tug wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 am Its definitely not the GM5. It will be fuse 10. Hopefully this will cure it for Nigel.
What does fuse 10 do?

tug

Post by tug » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:16 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:48 pm
tug wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 am Its definitely not the GM5. It will be fuse 10. Hopefully this will cure it for Nigel.
What does fuse 10 do?
Fuse 10 controls the general electric control unit & electronic engine immobiliser mate, reason i know this is cos it happened to me last year. Im glad i could help Nigel & anybody else who has the same problem.

Happy New Year & cheers, tug :thumbsup:

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Mon May 01, 2023 10:03 am

Had the exact same issue with my Z4 yesterday morning - started in the middle of town, siren blaring and waking half the population up!

Got home and couldn't find anything in INPA (with the alarm going off). Disconnected the battery and charged overnight, then found this thread this morning.

Popped out fuse 10, replaced, everything is perfect again.

Thanks so much for this forum, I am going away on holiday this week and it would have ruined the plan if I didn't have the car working, so I really appreciate it! :D