Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Word of warning.....

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4

Word of warning.....

Post by sticky » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 am

Ewazix wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:11 pm Interesting that BMW issued a TIS technical bulletin to dealers about this apparently common condition of squished vacuum hoses, quote

"A deformed vacuum hose still has sufficient reserves for the brakes to function correctly, in no instance is the braking effect jeopardised by the deformation. In case of customer complaint, do not replace the vacuum hose!

Technically they are almost certainly right, but it makes them look like a cowboy shower of s4it! :o

Hose.PNG
One would assume BMW have tested the hose to breaking point otherwise they would recommend replacing,,,,,,, hopefully,,,,,, ???

AlienZed

Word of warning.....

Post by AlienZed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 am

Just as a precaution ,as mine has collapsed too,i ordered one yesterday from my local bm dealership, £17 ish .
M

mpc007

Word of warning.....

Post by mpc007 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:34 am

Yeah, they're not that expensive. I could order one for ~20 EUR from a dealer so did that. Hope to see it arrive soon, now having seen this topic :D Guess maybe best bet to remove the clamps carefully is just to saw them off with a small iron handsaw?

Edit: Just had the part delivered so decided to have a go at it. Had an argument with the OEM single-use hose clamps, until I found out that indeed the easiest way is to pry up the end where it falls over the little ridges. It then releases and you can easily dispose them with pliers. The one way return valve at the end of the brake booster came with the hose when pulling it loose, but it did look OK so switched it over to the new hose. Then reinstall the hose, making use of some easier to use clamps (in my opinion). Did a quick test drive, brakes seemed a bit better than earlier (felt a bit numb) but have to drive longer to make up the conclusion. For anyone who noticed; my DISA valve is currently unplugged because it rattles. Its on my list to look into it, but in order to prevent it falling apart while working I decided to shut it down for now.
brakehose4.jpg
brakehose4.jpg (62.36 KiB) Viewed 260 times
brakehose5.jpg
brakehose5.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 260 times
brakehose3.jpg
brakehose3.jpg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 260 times
brakehose2.jpg
brakehose2.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 260 times
brakehose1.jpg
brakehose1.jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Current
2010 E89 Z4 35iS Melbourne Red (weekend)

Former
2004 E85 Z4 3.0i SMG Toledoblau (weekend)
2001 E46 Coupe 325Ci Orientalblau (project car)
2017 Mazda MX-5 ND 1.5 GT-M Soul Red Crystal (weekend)
2003 Peugeot 206 GTI
1998 Peugeot 106 Sport

BumpyZ4

Word of warning.....

Post by BumpyZ4 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 am

rdgreen wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:16 pm
mpc007 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:49 pm Think my car has this. I noticed feeling in the brakes was lacking, and then I remembered road side assistance did remark something about a deformed hose under the bonnet (when they were checking my broken alternator). It just looks like the one in the picture.

Think its wise to replace ASAP, did I see correctly the partno is 34336763992?
When changing, do I need to order other parts as well?

Many thanks in advance!
To be honest I just went to the local auto spares outlet and bought a vacuum hose of the correct diameter that followed the contour almost exactly. Part number is ZHB12EFV and it cost me less than $20 (about 12 pounds) all up with a couple of hose clamps to replace the BMW ones that you will need to cut off carefully. You could buy the genuine BMW ones....but you would probably need to mortgage the house first. :)
I bought the BMW hose for $20 from ECS Tuning.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)