Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High-Pitch Whine

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rdm05z4

High-Pitch Whine

Post by rdm05z4 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Pirish .. Really you had to go there.. :o This is why I try to avoid the BMW parts counter at all costs.!!! Never know what you might see!!!!
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

High-Pitch Whine

Post by Ewazix » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:21 am

Pirish wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:35 pm
Ewazix wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:54 pm I'm glad you seem to have narrowed it down to the booster diaphragm, as I said at the outset your symptoms were as expected.

Nobody is going to say it's OK to drive with an under performing brake booster, if it failed completely you will have unassisted brakes and you will not stop in time, guaranteed. Truth is that a complete booster failure is rare, but as the leak gets worse your brake pedal may start to feel more solid which is the next warning after noises. Here in the UK knowingly driving with defective brakes that cause a fatal for example, will get you serious jail time, personally I'd rather have my pants pulled down at the BMW parts counter than in the jail shower block.
Fair point, thanks for all your help!
No problem (excuse the Brit' humour :wink: ).

I would double check the booster one way valve before committing to a replacement booster unit, a simple inspection and blow/suck test will tell if it's operating OK.

I've fitted a used servo booster from a breaker before on other cars I've owned and not had a problem which is obviously a lot less expensive, but would probably go for an aftermarket item at about half the cost of the BMW unit e.g. from a maker like ATE who make components for BMW. https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/343 ... -MFG4.aspx

You can find the part number on Real OEM here https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=34_1291

Good luck sorting it :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost