Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remote locking not working - Desperate

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:32 pm

AC5L4T3R wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:58 pm I feel your pain. I've also had unexplainable key problems.

Mine stopped working and I assumed it was the battery, got a new key cut and coded and around the same time the old one started working after the doing the pairing combo but I couldn't get the new one to pair at all. After about 2 weeks the old one stopped working and then worked intermittently until I changed the car battery.

It worked for about 3 weeks and then the day I posted on a z4 fb group about how it was now working, it stopped working and hasn't worked since. I will try and get the battery in the key changed but that's a pain and a half as well.
It's very frustrating. I think the next step is to check electrical wiring. Someone has the electrical diagram of this to check?

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:00 pm

One interesting thing, maybe...

When i close my car with the key in door, red light in rear view mirror blinks a lot of times (around 10 times) and then start more slowly blinking.

I have observed in a friend cars that is not happen. When it's lock the doors, it's light not blinking fast like mine. It's any kind of error code?

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Might be worth checking (using INPA) if the car knows all its doors are shut.
Some cars won't lock without the doors being shut. I'm am not certain if the Z4 is the same.

I do know that the key pairing procedure IS meant to be completed with all doors shut. Maybe if the car thinks one is open it won't allow pairing.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Jörökukko

Post by Jörökukko » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:20 pm

I had same problem. In my case the problem was that the gas tanks door wouldn't lock. I took off the electric connector from gas door actuator and I made shortcut with those two cables. It's been working since then.

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Jörökukko wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:20 pm In my case the problem was that the gas tanks door wouldn't lock.
That makes sense. Some pairing procedures explicitly state "ensure all doors and hatches are shut" so this could include the boot, bonnet, fuel door, glove box or any other hatch/door for all I know!

They really expect you to follow the instructions to the letter :thumbsdown:

INPA can interrogate every switch and sensor on the car so this should be a simple and free test :thumbsup:
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Sorry for recovering this thread, but the issue still happens. Tried to contact with some local workshops and none of them dares with the problem.

Tried to see in INPA which doors are open, but i can't see any door open. I can see it from another application? How i can check if the sensor of bonnet, glovebox or fuel door is working?

Im thinking also in buy another ZKE module, but seeing that i have to recode it (and the process is not simple) i have discarded it.

Help, please :(

Jörökukko

Post by Jörökukko » Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi oxido! I can feel your pain. Last year I had a same problem as you, and few days back it came back. Last time it was because gas door actuator was not working->fixed by unplugging the electric connector from the gas door actuator.

Now, when the problem accured again, I first chekked rear view mirror and diversity antenna and didn't find any problem, BUT via INPA I found out that storage between seats wasn't locked. I unplugged storage doors actuator and remote started working.

I think the gas door actuator failure is pretty common, I'm not sure how to check that via INPA, but very easy and fast to check that if you haven't yet. Does you gas door lock when you lock doors? If doesn't that's propably your problem.

About the bonnet sensor, have you tried to simply unplug that connector?

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:46 am

Jörökukko wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm Hi oxido! I can feel your pain. Last year I had a same problem as you, and few days back it came back. Last time it was because gas door actuator was not working->fixed by unplugging the electric connector from the gas door actuator.

Now, when the problem accured again, I first chekked rear view mirror and diversity antenna and didn't find any problem, BUT via INPA I found out that storage between seats wasn't locked. I unplugged storage doors actuator and remote started working.

I think the gas door actuator failure is pretty common, I'm not sure how to check that via INPA, but very easy and fast to check that if you haven't yet. Does you gas door lock when you lock doors? If doesn't that's propably your problem.

About the bonnet sensor, have you tried to simply unplug that connector?
Hi Jörökukko, thanks for your support!

Could you explain to me in which section of inpa you saw this error, please?

Tried with the trick of gas door actuator: i close my doors and this gas door is closed and i can't open until i open the car. Regarding the bonnet sensor, where is located? if i unplug, teorically remote it would have to work again?

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:55 am

0xid0 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:51 pm Sorry for recovering this thread, but the issue still happens. Tried to contact with some local workshops and none of them dares with the problem.

Tried to see in INPA which doors are open, but i can't see any door open. I can see it from another application? How i can check if the sensor of bonnet, glovebox or fuel door is working?

Im thinking also in buy another ZKE module, but seeing that i have to recode it (and the process is not simple) i have discarded it.

the GM5 (ZKE) does not have to be programmed for your particular car to work. I just put one in from a 2007 into my 2003 and it worked with no programming.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm

BumpyZ4 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:55 am
0xid0 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:51 pm Sorry for recovering this thread, but the issue still happens. Tried to contact with some local workshops and none of them dares with the problem.

the GM5 (ZKE) does not have to be programmed for your particular car to work. I just put one in from a 2007 into my 2003 and it worked with no programming.
Is hot-swap without doing anything else?

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:53 am

[quote=0xid0 post_id=<a href="tel:1840878">1840878</a> time=<a href="tel:1622562460">1622562460</a> user_id=17897]
[quote=BumpyZ4 post_id=<a href="tel:1840773">1840773</a> time=<a href="tel:1622516104">1622516104</a> user_id=33495]
[quote=0xid0 post_id=<a href="tel:1838407">1838407</a> time=<a href="tel:1621709480">1621709480</a> user_id=17897]
Sorry for recovering this thread, but the issue still happens. Tried to contact with some local workshops and none of them dares with the problem.

[/quote]the GM5 (ZKE) does not have to be programmed for your particular car to work. I just put one in from a 2007 into my 2003 and it worked with no programming.
[/quote]

Is hot-swap without doing anything else?
[/quote]Yes for basic functionality you don’t have to do any coding just plug and play. If you want specific things like one touch windows the GM 5 would need to be programmed if it isn’t already programmed for that.
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

PAPZ4

Post by PAPZ4 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 pm

Did you find the solution to your problem?

Same problem for me, car locks perfectly using the key in the door lock but no remote control. Also storage between seats is not locking.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:34 am

0xid0 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:00 pm Same problem for me, car locks perfectly using the key in the door lock but no remote control. Also storage between seats is not locking.
What have you tried to solve this so far?

PAPZ4

Post by PAPZ4 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:28 am

Changed the diversity antenna (located in the left side of the boot), also I removed my rear bumper yesterday and found the antenna behind broken (number part: 65256912244), I’ve ordered it from BMW. Don’t know if this antenna is related to remote control.

I’ll check if I have any fault codes.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 pm

PAPZ4 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:28 am Changed the diversity antenna (located in the left side of the boot), also I removed my rear bumper yesterday and found the antenna behind broken (number part: 65256912244), I’ve ordered it from BMW. Don’t know if this antenna is related to remote control.

I’ll check if I have any fault codes.
The diversity antenna and the antenna in the bumper is for the radio. The antenna for the GM5 (which controls the central locking system) is inside the rear view mirror. Have you changed the key FOB battery?
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)