Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth adaptor not turning off

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr.President

Post by Mr.President » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi,
So i bought this bluetooth adaptor wanting to stream music and for calls, although i didnt think the call quality would be any good.
https://m.ebay.ph/itm/For-BMW-E85-86-83 ... r=1&_rdt=1

Anyway, i just connected it to the basic radio of my e86 and it works, taking off the vents was a pain though, but it seems that BT dongle is searching for a connection even when radio is off and the car is locked. This worries me because this is a weekend car and im afraid that it will drain the battery if it stays on.
What do you guys think, should i be worried, should i have bought a different BT adaptor that turns off? Is there something i can do now to make it lose power when the radio is off?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:13 pm

How do you know it is looking for a pairing with the ignition off just out of interest?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mr.President

Post by Mr.President » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:43 pm

I see the blue light blinking on the dongle. Wanted to test it before assembling everything.
When the phone is connected the light flashes slowly and i see on the phone that it is paired. When i turn the BT off on the phone it starts to flash faster.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:39 pm

If your battery is in good condition and regularly charged you won't have anything to worry about. THe dongle will have absolutely nominal current draw, esp if it isn't in paired mode.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr.President

Post by Mr.President » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reply, Chris. The battery is in a good condition but its a weekend car so it sits in the garage a lot.

I hoped BT dongle would at least go into stand by mode so i left it for an hour, but it still wants to connect to the car :(
The other thing that bothers me is that the streaming from phone continues when i turn off the car and radio, because the bt dongle doesnt lose power.
Will try to find a car electrician that can maybe sort it out or just throw it in the bin