Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Offside windscreen wiper. My offside wiper is not operating however my near side wiper is OK. Does anyone have an answer

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AndyKeitch

Offside windscreen wiper. My offside wiper is not operating however my near side wiper is OK. Does anyone have an answer

Post by AndyKeitch » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm

The Offside windscreen wiper on my 2008 Z4 is not operating, However the near side wiper is fine. Does anyone have an answer to this. Many thanks. Andy

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:48 pm

AndyKeitch wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm The Offside windscreen wiper on my 2008 Z4 is not operating, However the near side wiper is fine. Does anyone have an answer to this. Many thanks. Andy
Sounds like a broken wiper linkage to me, remove the wiper arms with a puller and the scuttle trim to reach the mechanism.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

AndyKeitch

Post by AndyKeitch » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Many thanks Rob. I’ll give it a try :)

colb

Post by colb » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 pm

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=61_1600
Once you have removed the plastic scuttle cover you will see the wiper unit, probably a link has become detatched. Take the whole unit out by removing two bolts one at each end and the plastic retainer in the centre, disconnect the electric plug to the motor.
At the start mark the resting place of your wiper blades on the screen with some tape so you get them in the right place when putting it back together. Sort the detached linkage you may want a repair clip sourced from ebay to fix it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-E ... SwOgdYpF0o
Whilst you have the linkage out it is worthwhile taking the cover plate off the back of the motor, 6 bolts, lift the plate off and clean all the grease off the electrical contact plate that has migrated over it from the worm drive. This is the cause of the wipers not parking in the correct place when switched off. Clean the grease off it and that fixes it.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 pm

You can buy a clip on eBay as a simple fix. Just slips over the ball joint which becomes worn over time, to hold them both together.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 am

Sgr74 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 pm You can buy a clip on eBay as a simple fix. Just slips over the ball joint which becomes worn over time, to hold them both together.
Try these clips as suggested they work a treat and only cost a few pounds very easy to fit :thumbsup:
Assuming it is a broken ball joint linkage as suggested earlier.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten