Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jiggling side mirror..?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Argenta

Jiggling side mirror..?

Post by Argenta » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:53 pm

Hiya!
My driver side mirror has seemingly snapped somewhere, at motorway speed the glass jiggles so much the rear view is fuzzier than on new years eve.

What usually happens here, and is it fixable..?

barnyg

Jiggling side mirror..?

Post by barnyg » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:03 am

Had what sounds the same a few days ago. Passenger side glass jiggling at motorway speeds and looks like it could fall off any second. As far as I could tell the two options are:

1) Buy a replacement glass unit off Ebay. These are aftermarket and not identical to the BMW ones but seem to look fine when installed. Just be sure not to get the blue tinted ones as it won't match your other side. These seem to cost around £10.

2) Carefully remove the glass and re-glue in place with something strong like Araldite. Be careful as the adhesive pad behind the glass is actually the heating element itself so this cannot be damaged. I would suggest remove the entire unit (glass and backing plate) and then use something flat to carefully pry the glass away and loosen the small amount of remaining glue. Then clean up the glass surface and heating pad surface, apply glue and clamp together until dry. Reinstall into car.

I went for option two, and seems to be holding up fine for now!
[SOLD] 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe: Montego Blue, Cirrus Dash, Cruise Control, Nav, 18" CSL Reps, Eibach lowered, MM Tips, ZHP Gearknob, Sport Button mod, GROM BT3

obewan

Jiggling side mirror..?

Post by obewan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:05 am

As barnyg said - :thumbsup: +1
I wasn't quick enough to catch mine as I shut the door and it dropped off :(
I used sticky pads (same ones as for number plates) not glue and bought the mirror from Halfords (more for speed of replacement really)
Think it was about £12-14 at the time
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Crazy Harry

Jiggling side mirror..?

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 am

If its not already off carefully pull the glass away BUT DON'T pull the rubber membrane off the mechanism behind it.

Clean the rubber with any spirit based fluid (I use surgical spirit) then fix the mirror (or new mirror) using vertical stripes of double sided tape cover the rubber surface - if you do it this way if one strip fail its less likely to fall off. Use a hair drier to dry and warm the rubber before applying the tape.

Argenta

Jiggling side mirror..?

Post by Argenta » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanx a lot will look into this!