Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Passenger Window Motor Replacement HELP!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JimRob

Post by JimRob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 am

Hi All
Yesterday I stripped the passenger door panel down in a hope to replace the cable (bought replacement kit from ebay), but have hit a bit of a snag. Because my window is not working at all, I can't drop it down to access the TORX bolt so I can remove the window, and then remove the regulator and motor. Any ideas how I proceed?

I had a feel around all the cabling and all feels tight and in good condition so I'm guessing it's the motor that has failed (I'm trying to source a 2nd hand one from ebay but no luck so far). But until I can find away to get the old motor out I'm sort of stuck. FYI the relay clicks when I push the power window button, but no movement/noise from the motor.

A 2nd issue, after putting all back together my airbag light has now appeared, I did follow the procedure of removing negative battery lead and waited 10 mins, but I reinstalled airbag a couple of times while checking connections/relay etc and I think a got a little impatient and maybe only waiting a couple of minutes the 2nd time. So my advice, be patient and wait the full 10 mins for the electricity to bugger off, before disconnecting airbag. I tried to reset this with my CARLY but no luck, I have read that other cheap OBD scanners will do this such as Creator C310, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Jim

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:58 am

• C310 will sort your airbag light - Carly is not up to the job for airbag ecu
  • When you remove the battery leads, short them together to discharge the various capacitors in the ECU's - then you don't need to wait 10 minutes
  • Even though you can hear the relay click it doesn't mean it's making a good electrical contact as the surfaces oxidise. Worth getting the relays changed to rule them out.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

JimRob

Post by JimRob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:58 am
  • C310 will sort your airbag light - Carly is not up to the job for airbag ecu
  • When you remove the battery leads, short them together to discharge the various capacitors in the ECU's - then you don't need to wait 10 minutes
  • Even though you can hear the relay click it doesn't mean it's making a good electrical contact as the surfaces oxidise. Worth getting the relays changed to rule them out.
Thanks for the info ph001. Looks like I'll be investing in a C310 once I get the window issue sorted, and i'll short the battery leads next time I take it all apart.
I presume the relay is behind the glovebox fuse board? If so I can kill 2 birds with one stone and replace the wiper relay also.

Would still be useful to know how I get the window regulator out..

Thanks

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm

From what you have said, chances are your window regulators are ok so hopefully won’t need to change them out anyway.

The GM5 module is light grey, it’s hidden up behind the fusebox as you say. Easy enough to take out. GM5 controls windows, central locking, boot release, alarm, interior lights and the wipers.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

tug

Post by tug » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Also, have a look at the green plug that goes into the airbag, if any of the little securing tabs are broken off then its almost impossible to turn the light out. I found that one out when doing the same job as you. I ended up buying an airbag of fleabay and replacing the plug & the light went out on its own.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:27 pm

If you have trouble with the drivers side, I happen to have a brand new one of these taking up space
Attachments
F1325149-6655-40B4-A176-B877174199D1.jpeg
F1325149-6655-40B4-A176-B877174199D1.jpeg (172.39 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

JimRob

Post by JimRob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I've read the GM5 is coded to the car so I'll have to get mine sent off for repair, any recommendations who to use? By the way, I have no issues with any other electrics but it makes sense to get the module looked at.

tug - I will check the connection on the airbag, as I said I had disconnected battery before removing each time so I was a little surprised the light came on.

Jembo - I'm sure someone will snap that up considering the number of issues we have with Z4 regulators..

Cheers

JimRob

Post by JimRob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm From what you have said, chances are your window regulators are ok so hopefully won’t need to change them out anyway.

The GM5 module is light grey, it’s hidden up behind the fusebox as you say. Easy enough to take out. GM5 controls windows, central locking, boot release, alarm, interior lights and the wipers.
I was just looking through some old posts on the GM5 module and noticed a post from you from a couple of years back offering to replace the relays, is this something you still offer?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:20 pm

....can’t get stock of the relays at moment unfortunately :(

JimRob

Post by JimRob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm

No Problem, I have just contacted Autoelectron in Harrowgate, I've seen the name pop up a few times around the forum, cheers..

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:23 am

New relays now in stock if anybody needs them changing.