Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

once again......door locks...well sort of

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
magicman

Post by magicman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:52 pm

yes I'm well aware of how late I am to the party regarding door locks but Im having a strange issue and not exactly sure what are the next steps I should take, looking for any Info, help or suggestions, that will resolve my issue. With that being said here is whats going on:

2003 Z4 2.5i 5spd

Long story short, both door lock actuators went bad, passenger side first then after some time later driver side. Common problem......removed panels, opened doors, destroyed and removed old actuators. Ordered 2 new actuators from rockauto
Shee-mar part# SM2029 & SM2030, installed passenger side first, everything works fine, door opens, locks and unlock just fine, works with the keyfob and central lock button...boom fixed. On to the driverside, installed actuator, plug everything back in, test locks....and heres where my issue begins. Locks not working on either door, driver side will not unlock or open/release latch. Keyfob not working, key in the cylinder not working, central lock button not working. Unplug driver side actuator and passenger side works just fine.

has anyone else run into this same problem? I'm wondering if I might have possibly received a defective door actuator? I did read about the GM5 module, but what i find strange is the passenger side still works when the driver side is unplugged. Could the issue still be the module? one thing that is clear is that the issue is isolated to the driver side

would really appreciate any info or advice that will help me in solving this issue, not exactly sure what are the next steps I should take
thanks guy

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Try with engine running. If it solves your problem then it's new battery time.
Sounds like a weak battery to me.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

magicman

Post by magicman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 pm Try with engine running. If it solves your problem then it's new battery time.
I actually did try that, no luck but whats happening now is that it is sort of working intermittently, driver side door lock is chattering

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:15 pm

magicman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 pm Try with engine running. If it solves your problem then it's new battery time.
I actually did try that, no luck but whats happening now is that it is sort of working intermittently, driver side door lock is chattering
are the actuators handed?
can you remove/replace the pax side for the drivers side to see if you experience the same effect?

magicman

Post by magicman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:28 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:15 pm
magicman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm
can you remove/replace the pax side for the drivers side to see if you experience the same effect?
yes they are, now the driver side is working intermittently and chattering, I'm guessing its an issue with the GM5 module, I'm planning on removing it and visually checking it for any damaged components, at least now the doors are unlocked and I'm able to open them, getting there one step at time

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:38 pm

magicman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:28 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:15 pm
magicman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm I actually did try that, no luck but whats happening now is that it is sort of working intermittently, driver side door lock is chattering
yes they are, now the driver side is working intermittently and chattering, I'm guessing its an issue with the GM5 module, I'm planning on removing it and visually checking it for any damaged components, at least now the doors are unlocked and I'm able to open them, getting there one step at time
good luck and don't forget to post up your solution if you get it sorted.
:thumbsup:

magicman

Post by magicman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:38 pm
magicman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:28 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:15 pm are the actuators handed?
good luck and don't forget to post up your solution if you get it sorted.
:thumbsup:
thanks will do

magicman

Post by magicman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:40 pm

UPDATE-- sent my GM5 module to fixed, got it back, plugged it in, and now door locks working....and then......driver side door would still chatter and the lock pin would not fully extend. sent the actuator back and swapped it under warranty, received new one. Installed the new actuator and now everything is working fine, problem solved. I knew for a fact that my actuator were bad, still unsure if the GM5 module was, but based on the symptoms i was seeing i was convinced it too was bad. I believe the GM5 module was beginning to fail which could have lead to the failure of the actuators or vice versa . In the end was able to solve the issue, 2 new door lock actuator and redone Module for under $250