Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Urgent! E85 won't turn over

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi all,

So I went to leave today and the car won't turn over. the first turn will turn on the lights, radio etc without issue. And then when I go to start the car by turning further it won't start. Not even an attempt. Just nothing. There's a brand new battery in there and all the electrics come on. It's as if there's no spark or something.

Any ideas? Could it be the key?
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:48 pm

Starter motor. If you give it a tap with a length of wood and a mallet you might get it to kick in. Only a temporary solution mind.

Just make sure first that all your dash lights come on as normal when you have it in position 2.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:15 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:48 pm Starter motor. If you give it a tap with a length of wood and a mallet you might get it to kick in. Only a temporary solution mind.

Just make sure first that all your dash lights come on as normal when you have it in position 2.
Literally using a hammer for the job huh?
All lights come on as they should I believe. battery, engine and all the other important ones come on. Just doesn't want to start.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:07 pm

As ph001 suggests, give the starter a tap while someone tries to start it for you.
Failing that its new startermotor time.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

colb

Post by colb » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Blimy it must be starter motor failure month, mine did exactly the same as yours, ignition on all dash lights as normal, turn to start and nothing, wouldn't turn over. I did smack it with a hammer and got it working again, a few more test starts and the starter motor died completly. Sourced a replacement for my 2.5 from Carparts4less on line sub £50 + a £24 surcharge , got to send old one back. Fairly easy to get it out and new one in on the 2.5, just disconnect the battery berfore you start the job.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I've had to get it towed to a local garage in the end. Tapping it wouldn't work at all. If you're saying it's not too difficult that's good, shouldn't cost too much to get it done so.
I used to do most of the work on all my cars myself but the Zed is so damned low I can't it on my ramps :P :oops:
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 am

colb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm Blimy it must be starter motor failure month, mine did exactly the same as yours, ignition on all dash lights as normal, turn to start and nothing, wouldn't turn over. I did smack it with a hammer and got it working again, a few more test starts and the starter motor died completly. Sourced a replacement for my 2.5 from Carparts4less on line sub £50 + a £24 surcharge , got to send old one back. Fairly easy to get it out and new one in on the 2.5, just disconnect the battery berfore you start the job.
Good call Col B
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 am

Roberltd2 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 am
colb wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm Blimy it must be starter motor failure month, mine did exactly the same as yours, ignition on all dash lights as normal, turn to start and nothing, wouldn't turn over. I did smack it with a hammer and got it working again, a few more test starts and the starter motor died completly. Sourced a replacement for my 2.5 from Carparts4less on line sub £50 + a £24 surcharge , got to send old one back. Fairly easy to get it out and new one in on the 2.5, just disconnect the battery berfore you start the job.
Good call Col B
At last, I'm no longer a Newbe!
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:18 am

It can also be the ignition key lock switch.
Both that and the starter motor are known failure points.
Easy to diagnose: measure if the relais gets a +12v on the signal tab when someone tries to start the car.
If there's voltage, its the starter motor, if there's no voltage it's the key switch.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:15 pm

GuidoK wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:18 am It can also be the ignition key lock switch.
Both that and the starter motor are known failure points.
Easy to diagnose: measure if the relais gets a +12v on the signal tab when someone tries to start the car.
If there's voltage, its the starter motor, if there's no voltage it's the key switch.
It's gone to the garage now so it's in their hands but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What's a relais, and the signal tab, and where are they?
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:14 pm

He means relay, but usually if all the ignition lights come on as normal in position 2, it's not an ignition switch problem - which is why I asked the question originally.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

colb

Post by colb » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 pm

Most likely the starter motor has died but quite right to mention the other possibility of the ignition switch going duff. The switch is resonably easy to access it lives under the lower steering wheel trim, one screw on the underside and unclick it at its joint with the upper cover and it falls away revealing the ignition switch. The switch is held in by two small grub screws painted over to prevent them comming loose. Pick the paint off them and loosen them off so the switch body comes free from the ignition barrel. If you want to test whilst still installed if memory serves me right its a black wire that sends 12v signal to the starter when the key activates the start position on the switch. If you get 12 volts then the switch is fine, it will be the other end at the starter motor thats failed. You could check that the 12v signal wire is getting to the motor end by checking with a test lamp or meter, its the single small wire connected to the starter motor. If that checks out then its going to be the starter motor gone duff.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:25 pm

colb wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 pm Most likely the starter motor has died but quite right to mention the other possibility of the ignition switch going duff. The switch is resonably easy to access it lives under the lower steering wheel trim, one screw on the underside and unclick it at its joint with the upper cover and it falls away revealing the ignition switch. The switch is held in by two small grub screws painted over to prevent them comming loose. Pick the paint off them and loosen them off so the switch body comes free from the ignition barrel. If you want to test whilst still installed if memory serves me right its a black wire that sends 12v signal to the starter when the key activates the start position on the switch. If you get 12 volts then the switch is fine, it will be the other end at the starter motor thats failed. You could check that the 12v signal wire is getting to the motor end by checking with a test lamp or meter, its the single small wire connected to the starter motor. If that checks out then its going to be the starter motor gone duff.
I ran a volt check on the ignition switch fuses and they came back green so if that had of gone, would the fuses give a positive? Just trying to determine whether that would in itself rule out the ignition.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:25 pm

ph001 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:14 pm He means relay, but usually if all the ignition lights come on as normal in position 2, it's not an ignition switch problem - which is why I asked the question originally.
Yup, dash lights up like christmas as it should so perhaps not then. The garage is due to ring me tomorrow so we'll see what they say and I'll update here.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm

ph001 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:14 pm He means relay, but usually if all the ignition lights come on as normal in position 2, it's not an ignition switch problem - which is why I asked the question originally.
Isn't the starting procedure (so engaging the starter) a seperate setting on the ignition key switch?
So that can be broke regardless of if the dash gets power or not.
It's a simple test, takes less than 30 sec to diagnose.
When starting (and the starter isn't turning over), measure with a multimeter (or a 12v voltage finder) between chassis (ground) and the small wire going to the solenoid on the starter (the solenoid has 2 large screwterminals, one for main battery voltage and one goes to the starter, and a small spade terminal for the starter signal, that's the one you must have). If there's power and the starter doesnt turn its the starter motor, but if there's no power, its the ignition switch.

Just for reference for future people that are going to tackle this problem in person. (and for following the warning on the sticker :lol: :wink: )
Starter problems are usually heard weeks in advance (that is, if you know what to listen for).
If you catch them early, one can just swap out the brushes (costs about 10 quid); if the starter quits, there is a chance a platelet on the collector is burnt and you need a new starter.

But as the car went to a garage there is no further point for this topic.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch