Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Central locking / emergency indicator switch

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Ronnie3232

Post by Ronnie3232 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm

My 04 e85 locks and unlocks perfect with key remotely but press the lock /unlock button
In centre consul behind gearstick and nowt. Emergency indicators do not work but ordinary indicators work fine from stalk. Both these functions are on the one switch at gearstick so I took a switch from another car but no good but when I put my switch in the other car it is fine so I reckon rules out faulty switch. Changed out the light control module but no change. Changed out fuse board and swapped the relays but still no luck. Tried reading codes but nowt showing up. Any pointers appreciated,
Thanks ronnie

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Ronnie3232 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm My 04 e85 locks and unlocks perfect with key remotely but press the lock /unlock button
In centre consul behind gearstick and nowt. Emergency indicators do not work but ordinary indicators work fine from stalk. Both these functions are on the one switch at gearstick so I took a switch from another car but no good but when I put my switch in the other car it is fine so I reckon rules out faulty switch. Changed out the light control module but no change. Changed out fuse board and swapped the relays but still no luck. Tried reading codes but nowt showing up. Any pointers appreciated,
Thanks ronnie
Hi ronnie, it might be worth removing the centre console & take a look at the wiring loom. I don't think I can help much but maybe start with removing ash tray & take a look at the wiring there. It's where a Gaptech module might be fitted (or might have been removed) maybe a wiring fault there? Also a dodgy battery can cause strange electrical problems but it doesn't sound right for your problem. Probably not LCM, I've been there!
Keep us posted :thumbsup: .
Zedless :(

Ronnie3232

Post by Ronnie3232 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:10 am

Hi buddy, changed battery removed centre trim and have checked wires, no gaptech and no sign of damage, it’s a tricky one,

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:31 am

It sure is :| . Hopefully someone with more electrical knowledge will come along with some suggestions. Otherwise I guess you'll need an auto electrician to take a look.
Good luck with it :thumbsup: .
Zedless :(

Stevepj

Post by Stevepj » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:17 am

Both these are controlled by the GEM5 module which is up behind the glove box. It's one of the usual suspects when locking issues start and can be repaired pretty cheaply by those with the know how.
So this is where I write about the car? 2003 E85 2.5i, sterling grey, red leather, 106s with Goodyear Eagle F1s, factory xenons, folding mirrors, cup holders, retrofit cruise control, Bilstein B4's all round. And a whippy!

Ronnie3232

Post by Ronnie3232 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Thanks guys, will move on to gem5 unit,