Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical LCM issue, my own stupid fault 🤬

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:14 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am There is no issue in coding any mileage lcm to the car. The light will definitely not go off by itself when the two mileages ‘catch up’. Where on earth do you dream this stuff up from?
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/or ... %20Dot.jpg

please note number 4.

Always been told this, if it's wrong it's wrong but yea, take the risk if you want!
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:34 pm

kis wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:26 pm Might just be the vin number. My airbag ECU needed the vin coded. I don't think it had the mileage coded. Could be wrong... Get them both done, if it's still going in anyway :)
thecremeegg wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:14 pm
ph001 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am There is no issue in coding any mileage lcm to the car. The light will definitely not go off by itself when the two mileages ‘catch up’. Where on earth do you dream this stuff up from?
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/or ... %20Dot.jpg

please note number 4.

Always been told this, if it's wrong it's wrong but yea, take the risk if you want!
I was told the VIN would need to be coded at the same time. My BMW indy never mentioned that the replacement LCM should have less miles on than my car. How would I know in any case :? . I will find out next Monday.
Zedless :(

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:41 pm

Yea the VIN is fine, it's just the mileage that I've always been told CANNOT be amended down, for obvious reasons. Guess we'll find out like you say! I hope that it isn't the case and I'm wrong, but yea, it's been discussed on here before and it's always been said you need one with a lower mileage :idunno:

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:46 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:41 pm Yea the VIN is fine, it's just the mileage that I've always been told CANNOT be amended down, for obvious reasons. Guess we'll find out like you say! I hope that it isn't the case and I'm wrong, but yea, it's been discussed on here before and it's always been said you need one with a lower mileage :idunno:
Perhaps I'll get lucky then :wink: . I doubt it though knowing me :x .

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:46 pm
thecremeegg wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:41 pm Yea the VIN is fine, it's just the mileage that I've always been told CANNOT be amended down, for obvious reasons. Guess we'll find out like you say! I hope that it isn't the case and I'm wrong, but yea, it's been discussed on here before and it's always been said you need one with a lower mileage :idunno:
Perhaps I'll get lucky then :wink: . I doubt it though knowing me :x .
Don’t know if it’d work or cost but what about one of these “mileage corrections” services.

Quite a few years ago I changed the clocks on car and wanted the correct mileage showing as it was really low mileage fsh and there was a Z4 and E9x in at the same time. I remember the guy saying they were a complete PITA to do as the mileage was recorded in several ways/places (can’t remember which one) but remember him saying he needed all keys etc for the car and it took twice as long and twice the price

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:19 pm

I would say that given the age of the car and it’s potential value - I would be tempted to leave it alone if it will cost a lot to rectify.
    Keep documentation of the change and maybe print these pages for a any prospective new owner.

The only thing that would bug me is that that tamper light
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ph001
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:56 pm

I’m 95% sure you can just code the mileage in the LCM module to match the dash readout. It’s the other way around that you can’t do..... although I must admit that .pdf seems to suggest different! There was a post way back in 2015 I think where someone had succeeded.
    2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
    19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:56 pm I’m 95% sure you can just code the mileage in the LCM module to match the dash readout. It’s the other way around that you can’t do..... although I must admit that .pdf seems to suggest different! There was a post way back in 2015 I think where someone had succeeded.
    Hope that's the case for sure! Of the two of us, I want to be wrong hah!

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:34 pm

It’s witchcraft!

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Evening chaps :D .
    Well my BMW indy has managed to re-code the LCM & we're good to go :yeah: . However I did have some doubts earlier on today. He called me around lunchtime to say he was struggling & would need the car for longer. He went so far as to say I might have to have it back unfixed :cry: . He ended up removing the LCM & had to connect directly to it to do the job.
    When I dropped it off he said he'd have to copy the details from the dash & load that info on to the LCM after deleting the details the LCM held, pretty much as ph001 said :thumbsup: .
    So tomorrow morning I can collect her & she won't have the dreaded tamper light or airbag light on :thumbsup: . TFFT! I think I've aged 10 years worrying about it this last week :oldman: . All I've got to do now is pay for it!

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm

I can imagine the relief you are feeling! :thumbsup:
    It should make parting with £‘s a little less painful.

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm I can imagine the relief you are feeling! :thumbsup:
    It should make parting with £‘s a little less painful.
    Thanks :thumbsup:. I had visions of having to go to the stealers. That would have meant a new LCM + coding & I hate to think what that would cost. Looking online a new LCM is around £260 on its own :o .

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:30 am

Well I've got her back now & all is as it should be :thumbsup: . Very happy with the service & price. He did say it was a pita of a job but he got there I'm glad to say.
    markplant wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm Can I ask indy you used, just for ref
    Mark, the place is called BMWMAN. He's in a large unit on an industrial estate in Heanor which is just a couple of miles from me.

ph001
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:45 am

:thumbsup: Ultimately it’s just some button presses on a laptop. It’s just knowing which buttons to press!
    2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
    19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

markplant
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm

That's who I'd been using since buying mine
    3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted