Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical LCM issue, my own stupid fault 🤬

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm

Good man :thumbsup:
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:07 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 pm
ph001 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:44 pm You can certainly try fitting it on your drive to make sure it restores your indicator function etc first. You will get a mileage tamper light on the dash though as mileage won't tie up so then you will need diagnostics to reset that but at least you can drive safely. If it's just around the corner though I would be tempted to let them fit it. 5 minute job plus 10 minutes coding max.

I am almost certain Quarry motors will be able to sort you out with an LCM module. There is not much demand for them as generally very reliable.
OK, I've managed to source a replacement LCM & have fitted it after a chat with my local indy round the corner. And yay it works :D , all lights back to normal.
I have the tamper light on as expected but also the airbag light :? . Maybe there's a tie in with the 'new' LCM as it wasn't on with the old one & I had the battery disconnected the whole time. Anyway no biggy hopefully, she's going in tomorrow morning to have everything reset & coded :thumbsup: .
The LCM needs to be a lower mileage than the car is on as they have to match the two together - the LCM holds the mileage for the car, hence the tamper light. You can add miles but not take them away. Hopefully it's just something that can be reset.
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Will the tamper light go off when the cars miles catch up to that of the module?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:35 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:07 pm
oldgitdave wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 pm
ph001 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:44 pm You can certainly try fitting it on your drive to make sure it restores your indicator function etc first. You will get a mileage tamper light on the dash though as mileage won't tie up so then you will need diagnostics to reset that but at least you can drive safely. If it's just around the corner though I would be tempted to let them fit it. 5 minute job plus 10 minutes coding max.

I am almost certain Quarry motors will be able to sort you out with an LCM module. There is not much demand for them as generally very reliable.
OK, I've managed to source a replacement LCM & have fitted it after a chat with my local indy round the corner. And yay it works :D , all lights back to normal.
I have the tamper light on as expected but also the airbag light :? . Maybe there's a tie in with the 'new' LCM as it wasn't on with the old one & I had the battery disconnected the whole time. Anyway no biggy hopefully, she's going in tomorrow morning to have everything reset & coded :thumbsup: .
The LCM needs to be a lower mileage than the car is on as they have to match the two together - the LCM holds the mileage for the car, hence the tamper light. You can add miles but not take them away. Hopefully it's just something that can be reset.
:cry: I hope that's not the case. How would anyone selling a used LCM know what mileage the recipient car has on it? I certainly have no idea what mileage my replacement LCM has on it but I presumed the LCM was a backup for the speedo mileage.
My indy round the corner couldn't do the job as he couldn't access the LCM with his software. It's now booked in for 22nd June to be coded by the BMW indy I mentioned earlier. At least I can drive it now :driving: .
Zedless :(

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:36 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 pm Will the tamper light go off when the cars miles catch up to that of the module?
I don't think so as the LCM also has the VIN number. Until that's been coded in I'd expect the tamper light would stay on.

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:08 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:35 pm
oldgitdave wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 pm OK, I've managed to source a replacement LCM & have fitted it after a chat with my local indy round the corner. And yay it works :D , all lights back to normal.
:cry: I hope that's not the case. How would anyone selling a used LCM know what mileage the recipient car has on it? I certainly have no idea what mileage my replacement LCM has on it but I presumed the LCM was a backup for the speedo mileage.
My indy round the corner couldn't do the job as he couldn't access the LCM with his software. It's now booked in for 22nd June to be coded by the BMW indy I mentioned earlier. At least I can drive it now :driving: .
I think it is I'm afraid! It's to stop you adjusting mileage down
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:22 pm

This might be a silly question but ??? If miles can be added, what happens when it goes over the 999,999 max - does it then go to 000,000 ?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am

There is no issue in coding any mileage lcm to the car. The light will definitely not go off by itself when the two mileages ‘catch up’. Where on earth do you dream this stuff up from?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:19 am

ph001 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am There is no issue in coding any mileage lcm to the car. The light will definitely not go off by itself when the two mileages ‘catch up’. Where on earth do you dream this stuff up from?
That's good to hear :thumbsup: .

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 am

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am

No dreaming ph001
It seemed like a logical question to ask after reading this.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:51 am

ronk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am
No dreaming ph001
No such thing as a stupid question. If you don't ask you don't learn.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:51 am
ronk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am
No dreaming ph001
That’s what I was always told as well :thumbsup:

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am

ronk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:51 am
ronk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am No dreaming ph001
That’s what I was always told as well :thumbsup:
I've asked a few daft ones in my time I can tell you :roll:

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Might just be the vin number. My airbag ECU needed the vin coded. I don't think it had the mileage coded. Could be wrong... Get them both done, if it's still going in anyway :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71