Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Central locking via remote keyfob not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AC5L4T3R

Post by AC5L4T3R » Fri May 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Hey all.

For the last 10 months or so I've been unable to unlock my car using the keyfob, the buttons do nothing and neither does re-registering the key. I assumed the battery had finally died after 17 years of use but never got around to getting a new key sorted until now. I went to a mobile key guy and he told me the key still had power and his key coding device was receiving a signal from the key.

I read about the GM5 unit being prone to failure, but the central locking button inside the car is working fine. I've ordered a couple of relays just in case but I can't think what else could be causing the problem. The battery in the car is from 2017 and when I did a voltage check the other day it was producing 12.4v when the car was idle.

Cheers
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i - RHD car living in a LHD country.

kagan

Post by kagan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:46 am

I've got the same issue with my car too. I bought a replacement battery thinking this must be the issue, opened up the key and swapped it but had no joy. If I manage to get to the bottom of it I'll post another reply, but if you work it out before me please update the thread :)

Keyper

Post by Keyper » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:18 pm

I’ve had this issue and it was the GM5 module, however I removed mine from the car and posted it off for repair, roughly £40 if my memory serves me well, a company in Workington in Cumbria.

I found that you could still lock both doors with the key and that the boot opened from the button, however the central locking from the key was a no no
2004 E85 2.5i Sterling Grey - Now Gone
2010 E89 35i Titanium Silver

AC5L4T3R

Post by AC5L4T3R » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:51 am

The day after this post, the key started working again but has since stopped. I did the repairing button combo with the key next to the rear view mirror where the sensor is supposed to be and it paired first time. The key worked for a day or two and then became intermittent, now doesn't work at all. I did put it on a toothbrush charger and the next day it unlocked the car remotely but since then nothing. Assuming the battery is buggered.
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i - RHD car living in a LHD country.