Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

P0102 Fault Code

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robert63

P0102 Fault Code

Post by Robert63 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:18 am

I have a 04 plate 2.2 Zed which has developed a P0102 Fault Code. The engine rev counter fluctuates from 500 rpm to 1000rpm on idling regularly every second or so and its impossible to drive. I have replaced the Mass Air Flow Boot, which had a tear on it . I have cleaned the air filter, and cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. I am able to reset, and clear the code but when I start the engine the code comes back. I have tried running the engine with the MAF Sensor unplugged and the engine runs the same as with the sensor plugged in. Is there anything else I can check or am I looking at a new MAF sensor. Many thanks for all your advice as always.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

P0102 Fault Code

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 am

If it doesn’t run better with the maf unplugged then the maf isn’t the issue.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Chippie

P0102 Fault Code

Post by Chippie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

I would have thought if it runs the same with the MAF unplugged then the uneven idle would be caused by something else, although that doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t a fault with the MAF, I’m sure there will be others that can offer better advice
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

P0102 Fault Code

Post by ph001 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:04 pm

It doesn’t sound like the MAF is the problem if it’s just the same with it unplugged but a P0102 code is nearly always the split concertina hose or the MAF. If you are sure the hoses are all good I think I would be buying a new Hella or Bosch MAF from ebay.

Do the revs change when you press the brake when idling by any chance?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

colb

P0102 Fault Code

Post by colb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Have you checked the condition of the air filter, clogged airfilter can restrict the airflow to the Maf.
Good guide to diagnosing here https://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/12/p01 ... Q__miU2lGC

Just noticed you say you cleaned the air filter, is it a standard filter or have you a K&N oiled filter on it, if its a K&N and too much oil has been put on it will kill the Maf. Having said that double check you have no further air leaks if you replaced the intake bellows with a new one because of a tear in the old one. Also clean out the Idle Control valve with carb cleaner, they can gum up and stick causing bad idling.

Air leaks are sometimes difficult to trace, best option is a smoke test, traced an air leak on another members 2.2 to a crack in the plastic cam cover around No4 plug well. If you have dfiagnostics capable of looking at the fuel trims have a look and see what they are doing, high fuel trims will indicate an air leak either due to leaks or misreporting Maf.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Robert63

P0102 Fault Code

Post by Robert63 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Excuse my ignorance but how do you do a smoke test ???? although I have got a small oil leak which drips on to the exhaust manifold just noticed it recently could this be where the air is getting in ???

colb

P0102 Fault Code

Post by colb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 pm

Yes that leak could also let air in, best renew the gasket as soon as you can to button it up.
a smoke test is carried out by generating smoke and pumping it into the vehicles intake from the engine side of the Maf to avoid introducing any contaminate onto the Maf sensor. I made my own smoke tester using a large new paint can and wired a 12v resistance wire coil around a wick. The wick gets soaked with baby oil and when power is applied to the coil it heats the wick enough to burn the oil, the resulting smoke is pumped via a small hose into the air intake on the engine. Smoke will make its way under pressure all the way through to the exhaust. The pressure I apply to mine is from a cycle air pump which produces enough pressure to do the job. If you have air leaks you will see the smoke appear from where they are.
Some videos on youtube if you search smoke test here is one much the same as my kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_duzsaZxI

Just changed my cam cover gaskets, thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120778
When you change the gasket also change the rubber seal washers for the cover securing bolts, they go hard with age and need to be soft to compress when you tighten the cover bolts.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url