Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

prospective purchase

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
zee1

prospective purchase

Post by zee1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi all, I am thinking of buying another Z, it is at a local classic car dealers as a trade in. He says he doesn't have diagnostics as he is a classic dealer?! The car is an 04 3.0 se with 110k on it. It has a problem, it starts and runs but doesn't rev properly, he says the previous owner had it diagnosed as the air flow meter, does this sound reasonable? The P O traded it rather than sorting it as I see it failed the mot last year on emissions and this dealer I assume wants to just get rid of it. He also says the roof has stopped working since he has had it. I'm not sure what a car like this would be worth if in good running order? I already have a Z but this looks tempting if it's cheap enough.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Steve :D

steve_naive

prospective purchase

Post by steve_naive » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Would take the guy two minutes to swap one of the 40amp fuses over to test the roof. If it's not that, you're maybe looking at a new roof motor?

If he's that invested in classics that he doesn't own diagnostic equipment, which I don't believe in this day and age, then he should send this directly to the auctions.

I'd walk unless he's virtually giving it away.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

prospective purchase

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:36 pm

How much does he want for it? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

zee1

prospective purchase

Post by zee1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:31 pm

It's on fleabay starting bid £500, thought if I could get for a grand or less it would be worth a punt?
Steve

buzyg
Legend
Legend

prospective purchase

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm

A punt indeed. :o Car dealers don't generally sell broken cars, unless they can't fix them and sell for a profit. Though sometimes they just don't want the hassle and move them on. :)

zee1

prospective purchase

Post by zee1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:36 am

My friend went to see it as he lives close to the garage, he reckons it's in really good condition bodywise, it was a Sunday so they weren't open, I may go and have a look at it when they are open to see how responsive he would be to me starting it and maybe reading the fault codes? I have a basic fault code reader.
Steve

zee1

prospective purchase

Post by zee1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi again, any ideas as to how much it would be worth if running properly?
£2500ish is that reasonable?
Steve

wonkydonkey

prospective purchase

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:14 pm

We don't know much about the car to judge its value really. Service history, spec and pics would help us to guess. As things stand it could be anywhere from £1,800—£3,400ish.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

prospective purchase

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:06 am

Just a thought...........if you do get codes off it, don't tell him what they are!
Do a lot of tutting and sucking of teeth, write down a few large figures on a notepad, with maybe a few question marks; then offer him a grand and see what happens.
I bet he'd love to have someone turn up and give him a list of the fault codes for free!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

zee1

prospective purchase

Post by zee1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Thank you for your replies, sorry I don't have photos, It has history I guess not full, I think I will give him call and see if I could pop over and have a look and see what the codes are.
Obviously I will endeavor to keep the codes from him and tell him it will be an expensive fix.
Thanks again, Steve

zee1

prospective purchase

Post by zee1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Well I didn't go for it as the seller said that if I didn't see it beforehand he wouldn't allow me to even drive it before I handed over the money, so I thought b++++++s to that and let him get on with it. It went for Around £1350 in the end. too much in my opinion with the running problem and the roof not working, plus other things no doubt!
Steve