Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Topless problems....

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
eddiemunster

Topless problems....

Post by eddiemunster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm

At the top of the centre console, next to the driver's right ear and above the CD cubby hole, there's a plastic large button that's clearly part of the roof locking mechanism. When I open the roof fully, you can see where the roof clips want to engage with the rear of this button so that the roof is locked in place.

However, my button has clearly dropped a spring on one side and so it doesn't return to the fully up/flush position. Is it a case of removing the console, doing the spring repair/replacement that I've seen on the t'interweb?

Oddly, my previous Z4 had the same button but I don't ever remember using it, nor do I remember the roof latches clipping into the rear of it either.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 pm

eddiemunster wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm At the top of the centre console, next to the driver's right ear and above the CD cubby hole, there's a plastic large button that's clearly part of the roof locking mechanism. When I open the roof fully, you can see where the roof clips want to engage with the rear of this button so that the roof is locked in place.

However, my button has clearly dropped a spring on one side and so it doesn't return to the fully up/flush position. Is it a case of removing the console, doing the spring repair/replacement that I've seen on the t'interweb?

Oddly, my previous Z4 had the same button but I don't ever remember using it, nor do I remember the roof latches clipping into the rear of it either.
I wouldn’t worry, later facelift cars didn’t have the latch as bmw decided the hydraulic roof mechanism acted as a lock on its own (also aided by gravity) :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

eddiemunster

Topless problems....

Post by eddiemunster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 pm I wouldn’t worry, later facelift cars didn’t have the latch as bmw decided the hydraulic roof mechanism acted as a lock on its own (also aided by gravity) :thumbsup:
Rob
Ah, if only it were that easy...... the spring, or part of the clasp, is rattling around in the console and driving me bananas!!! Also, the instant I know something's not right is the same instant I have to get it sorted! :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:00 pm

eddiemunster wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 pm I wouldn’t worry, later facelift cars didn’t have the latch as bmw decided the hydraulic roof mechanism acted as a lock on its own (also aided by gravity) :thumbsup:
Rob
Ah, if only it were that easy...... the spring, or part of the clasp, is rattling around in the console and driving me bananas!!! Also, the instant I know something's not right is the same instant I have to get it sorted! :D
Fair play, i can’t *bear anything rattling around in my cab either :x
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:00 pm
eddiemunster wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 pm
Rob
Rob
What about your fillings Rob :P
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Topless problems....

Post by buzyg » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:28 pm

firebobby wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 pm
eddiemunster wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 pm Ah, if only it were that easy...... the spring, or part of the clasp, is rattling around in the console and driving me bananas!!! Also, the instant I know something's not right is the same instant I have to get it sorted! :D
Rob
:lol: :evil: :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 pm

eddiemunster wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 pm Ah, if only it were that easy...... the spring, or part of the clasp, is rattling around in the console and driving me bananas!!! Also, the instant I know something's not right is the same instant I have to get it sorted! :D
Rob
They fell out ages ago, I’m more worried about my marbles these days :P
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:09 am

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:00 pm Fair play, i can’t *bear anything rattling around in my cab either :x
Rob
They fell out ages ago, I’m more worried about my marbles these days :P
Rob
:rofl: :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

srhutch

Topless problems....

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 am

OP, the top button does nothing. It’s only used for manual folding roofs. So unless you have one of those just remove that bit of trim, secure the button from behind and then refit.

eddiemunster

Topless problems....

Post by eddiemunster » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:51 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 am OP, the top button does nothing. It’s only used for manual folding roofs. So unless you have one of those just remove that bit of trim, secure the button from behind and then refit.
Managed to locate the spring back in its original position behind the button, it no longer flops down and so cosmetically it looks right. I did wonder about the purpose of that latch, the roof can locate into the grooves, if you press down on the roof, but it obviously doesn't latch securely in; now I know why! :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 pm

Apologies for resurrecting yet another old thread....................
Wifey's 2.5i has never latched the roof fully down. it stays in place and all functions as it should, but not quite low enough to engage the latch, even if I lean on it.
Problem I have is the constant rattling of the roof on the latch bar all the time the roof is down.
I did wrap it in tape but over time that has worn down and back comes the rattle.

My question is, can this latch simply be removed from the car?
If so, is it easy to do? Will it cause any other issues?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BumpyZ4

Topless problems....

Post by BumpyZ4 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm

The facelift cars don't have the latch so I don't see why it would hurt anything. The other thing you can do is adjust the latch higher so it engages the top. Either way you have to remove the rear center console to get to it.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Topless problems....

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 am

BumpyZ4 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm The facelift cars don't have the latch so I don't see why it would hurt anything. The other thing you can do is adjust the latch higher so it engages the top. Either way you have to remove the rear center console to get to it.
Thanks. I think removing it would be my solution tbh.
Once it's out, does it leave the operating button in the top of the rear console loose?
Don't want to simply replace the rattle with a different one!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Topless problems....

Post by buzyg » Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Rob
Or you Porridge. :D

BumpyZ4

Topless problems....

Post by BumpyZ4 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 am
BumpyZ4 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm The facelift cars don't have the latch so I don't see why it would hurt anything. The other thing you can do is adjust the latch higher so it engages the top. Either way you have to remove the rear center console to get to it.
Thanks. I think removing it would be my solution tbh.
Once it's out, does it leave the operating button in the top of the rear console loose?
Don't want to simply replace the rattle with a different one!
No it's spring loaded.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)