Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

QUICK FAULT CODE QUESTION

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jpvd

Post by jpvd » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi All

Quick question that i wanted to run by you and see what others think...

car - bmw z4 2.2 2003

car runs fine, no engine light or rough running....

ran a scan with the OBD and a couple of fault codes popped up. So i cleared them and then drove a for a couple of weeks and then checked again and only 2 have returned:
  • 2783 hot film air mass flow sensor
  • 27C3 thermal oil level sensor
So I already cleaned the MAF a couple of weeks ago after my first check, just to see if that was causing it, as I have a K&N filter. It wasn't dirty at all, but i still cleaned it just to make sure. So now it has returned should I just replace the MAF? - if so can anyone recommend a cheap supplier as they are stupid money with companies like eurocarparts (£400quid!!!!!!)

as for the second code, I am not really fussed about having an oil level sensor, but can this potentially cause a problem later with running of the car, etc? - or am i ok to just ignore this

cheers in advance
paul

jpvd

Post by jpvd » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Just to update - I did a few more checks and have decided it is definitely the maf sensor..

so i did a few searches online and found a german company (based on berlin) who sell the replacement maf sensor and oil level sensors. They had a sale on and I managed to get the maf and oil sensor for £88 including postage. They are german made parts, with a 3 year warranty..... bit of a bargain considering eurocar wanted £400 just for the maf.....will see what they are like when they arrive next week and will provide some feedback / review after fitting and road testing.....so fingers crossed!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:47 pm

Good luck! That’s a bargain price...well done.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

colb

Post by colb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:06 am

Good price for the Maf, I tried a ebay cheap Maf but that didn't work sent it back and refunded, bought oem one from BMW which worked straight out of the box for my 1.9 Z3, Siemens make. As oil level sensor just changed mine on my 2.5 Z4 after getting fault code, paid about £11 for it online. Fitted it but still had code return but its settled down now and no code set at present, keeping an eye on that. Best change that when changing the oil, have to drop the under cover to get at it.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

z4jono

Post by z4jono » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 pm

jpvd wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 pm .will see what they are like when they arrive next week and will provide some feedback / review after fitting and road testing.....so fingers crossed!
Hi jpvd, I am having the same issue, did the new MAF sensor fix it? I've put a new OEM MAF sensor on my 2004 2.5 and I still have the issue.

jpvd

Post by jpvd » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:05 am

z4jono wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 pm
jpvd wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 pm .will see what they are like when they arrive next week and will provide some feedback / review after fitting and road testing.....so fingers crossed!
Hi jpvd, I am having the same issue, did the new MAF sensor fix it? I've put a new OEM MAF sensor on my 2004 2.5 and I still have the issue.
Hi fella... The maf sensor was a pile of s**t, so I bought a oem one and it worked perfectly and fixed the problem.. Live and learn

colb

Post by colb » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 pm

Lesson learnt then regarding the Maf, told you as much earlier, sounds like the German source you got it from is sending out the cheap Chinese versions like those on ebay. If you use German parts sites use Autodoc and select the oem makes that come back on parts searches for your model, Bosch, and Siemens when its Maf's. Have used Hass camshaft sensors a couple of times on mates cars and those have proved reliable.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url