Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smoking speaker!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Tweeter (i assume) just under the wing mirror just started glowing orange and smoking. :o

I've recently fitted a new android stereo, could there be some sort of impedance mismatch?
I'm guessing it's blown now, so does anybody have recommendations for speaker upgrades?

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Smoking speaker!

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Tweeters are pretty sensitive. They can blow quite easily unlike a mid or woofer driver,If the tweeter is being damaged, best to see if the crossover is ok. and check the connections, Also (and more likely), an amp with not enough power can do that as well. When an amp clips, it can produce sounds that fry the tweeter,

yes you can get replacements, Audison, Eton or Hertz for example, as they are plug and play, but the they are going to show up the other stock speakers you have, if you want to keep stock, see if anyone has any they do not want
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:40 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:24 pm Tweeters are pretty sensitive. They can blow quite easily unlike a mid or woofer driver,If the tweeter is being damaged, best to see if the crossover is ok. and check the connections, Also (and more likely), an amp with not enough power can do that as well. When an amp clips, it can produce sounds that fry the tweeter,

yes you can get replacements, Audison, Eton or Hertz for example, as they are plug and play, but the they are going to show up the other stock speakers you have, if you want to keep stock, see if anyone has any they do not want
Here's the thing, when you say amp, are we talking about the amp that's been in the car since new? Or the new head unit.

I've only owned the car this last month and fitted the stereo a week ago. I used a harness adaptor and had to remove some blue plastic blanks from the existing harness plug to get the harness adaptor to fit. Other than that I'm not sure what I could have broke to cause the speakers to blow!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Smoking speaker!

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:05 pm

The crossover on the door tweeter is no more than a small electrolytic capacitor on the tweeter itself, if the capacitor were to go short circuit then it could certainly blow the tweeter but that is fairly unlikely.

What were the circumstances when it blew, were you blasting out baby shark at full volume, or listening to agadoo at more sedate levels?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:47 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:05 pm The crossover on the door tweeter is no more than a small electrolytic capacitor on the tweeter itself, if the capacitor were to go short circuit then it could certainly blow the tweeter but that is fairly unlikely.

What were the circumstances when it blew, were you blasting out baby shark at full volume, or listening to agadoo at more sedate levels?
(There is no level sedate enough for Agadoo).

Volume wasn't too loud.

I need to buy a new multimeter so I can check the cap wiring tomorrow. I don't want to invest in new speakers if they're gonna explode!

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Smoking speaker!

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm

I have never had a car speaker smoke, but I have seen a PA speaker do this, in that case it was the crossover that failed, but we are talking some serious power (5000w PA) crossing over that caused it to smoke, it could be a component failure, the amp as I said clipping, possibly a failure in the amp to send a DC power up the cable.
Did it make any funny noises before this happened, popping, clipping, distortion?
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:44 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm I have never had a car speaker smoke, but I have seen a PA speaker do this, in that case it was the crossover that failed, but we are talking some serious power (5000w PA) crossing over that caused it to smoke, it could be a component failure, the amp as I said clipping, possibly a failure in the amp to send a DC power up the cable.
Did it make any funny noises before this happened, popping, clipping, distortion?
Nothing. Sounded fine, all of a sudden the missus mentioned the smoking and I saw an orange glow.

I believe the car's amp is factory installed (Hi Fi package). So it's a bit of a coincidence that the speaker blows a week after installing a new stereo.

Is it possible that the new stereo is driving the amp harder than the Business CD unit had been doing?

Stereo:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Smoking speaker!

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 pm

DC into a tweeter won’t do anything as it just charges up the capacitor in series with it. Once the cap is charged, no current flows. It’s a different story for the woofer...they are killed easily with DC. Clipping can damage everything though like you said, but its usually uncomfortably loud and unpleasant sounding at that point. My guess is the additional power of the head unit caused a shorted turn on the tweeter coil which then caused it to burn out. Upgraded tweeters should solve the problem.

When you take the tweeter out, make sure it has the high pass crossover cap with it. I’m almost certain the cap is there with the tweeter but if not, that could certainly explain your problem.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:37 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 pm DC into a tweeter won’t do anything as it just charges up the capacitor in series with it. Once the cap is charged, no current flows. It’s a different story for the woofer...they are killed easily with DC. Clipping can damage everything though like you said, but its usually uncomfortably loud and unpleasant sounding at that point. My guess is the additional power of the head unit caused a shorted turn on the tweeter coil which then caused it to burn out. Upgraded tweeters should solve the problem.

When you take the tweeter out, make sure it has the high pass crossover cap with it. I’m almost certain the cap is there with the tweeter but if not, that could certainly explain your problem.
I'll try and take a look tomorrow.

Just realised that I have the new HU eq set to 'powerful'. Hmm.

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Just discovered that the boot is leaking. Battery and amp wet. :x

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:37 pm

I don't see a capacitor anywhere.
Do I need to take it apart further?

Pbondar

Smoking speaker!

Post by Pbondar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:53 pm

If you have the 676 mid range amp which you replaced with the head unit that has 4 by 50 watts, depending how your wiring harness works it could have pumped 50 watts into the tweeter as the original system drives the tweeter of its own channel without any capacitors as frequency determination has been done by DSP in the oem amp...so no wonder it glows..

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:53 pm If you have the 676 mid range amp which you replaced with the head unit that has 4 by 50 watts, depending how your wiring harness works it could have pumped 50 watts into the tweeter as the original system drives the tweeter of its own channel without any capacitors as frequency determination has been done by DSP in the oem amp...so no wonder it glows..
Not sure about any of that.

I think my car came with the standard amp, hi fi system. I thought the Carver system was the one with DSP?

My harness is the standard harness that came with the car, I used an adapter to connect the new stereo.

Pbondar

Smoking speaker!

Post by Pbondar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm

steve_naive wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:53 pm If you have the 676 mid range amp which you replaced with the head unit that has 4 by 50 watts, depending how your wiring harness works it could have pumped 50 watts into the tweeter as the original system drives the tweeter of its own channel without any capacitors as frequency determination has been done by DSP in the oem amp...so no wonder it glows..

I think my car came with the standard amp, hi fi system. I thought the Carver system was the one with DSP?

My harness is the standard harness that came with the car, I used an adapter to connect the new stereo.
Well clearly it worked for 10+ years before you twiddled with it..you twiddled..speaker blew up, implies something wrong with what you did or a duff wiring harness adapter ..these things do happen on Zs as they often are similar but not quite the same as the 3 series equivalents..

Point is the next tweeter you buy is likely to follow in the footsteps of the first one... :thumbsup:

steve_naive

Smoking speaker!

Post by steve_naive » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm
steve_naive wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Well clearly it worked for 10+ years before you twiddled with it..you twiddled..speaker blew up, implies something wrong with what you did or a duff wiring harness adapter ..these things do happen on Zs as they often are similar but not quite the same as the 3 series equivalents..

Point is the next tweeter you buy is likely to follow in the footsteps of the first one... :thumbsup:
Yes this is my concern!