Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox to exhaust support bracket

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Pawing over my new purchase of a 2 litre 2006 Z4 and getting it up on my ramps I noticed two holes Extending down from the bottom of my gearbox with nothing attached to them... Alarm bells rang cos it sure looked like there should be something there.. After a massive search on the tinternet I found a bracket from gearbox to exhaust that seems to be the missing link.... But I'm not sure... Sorry I have not taken photos but I can do.... I am hoping one of you clever peeps will tell me if I am wrong or right... The bracket runs horizontally (bolting onto the two holes prob with rubber insert) with a twist and cup at one end with a further bracket on top to hold the exhaust...
Now the really dumb question.... how important is its function and what could or would the side effects be not having one...

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:26 pm

A re-cap.... On having another look this morning I noticed I have in fact got the exhaust to gearbox support, however, the two holes protruding down from the gearbox are to the rear of the exhaust mount, ie mounted on the back of the gearbox... Still don't know their function or importance.... very confused and a bit alarmed.....lol

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:16 pm

guess its no.10 in the diagram your missing

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=18_0604
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:36 am

mac27040 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:16 pm guess its no.10 in the diagram your missing

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=18_0604
Nice one.... yes was just having another look online, didn't realize there are two similar exhaust support brackets front and back of gearbox and I just came across the same diagram you showed me.. Gawd knows why its missing, the car is in great shape otherwise.. Many thanks and well done for finding my problem....