Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xenon Headlight not Working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MikeMcG

Post by MikeMcG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

After a trip to the local hand car wash, I returned home to find the drivers side headlight was misted up.
I did think the guy was being a bit aggressive at the time under the wheel arches with the jet washer.
Upon closer inspection, the light had some water in it. I managed to get the water out by using multiple jay cloths to soak it up and then used a hair dryer to dry out the remaining condensation. But the main bulb still won't work. Side light is fine and never stopped working.
I've swapped the working xenon bulb and ballast from the passenger side, where they work fine across to the drivers side, but still nothing. I even bought a new ballast just to try that, but still nothing.
One thing to note is that the self leveling wasn't working either on the drivers side after the water ingress.

I called the AA out at the weekend, the guy found some more water in a connector and after shaking out the water and spraying a bit of WD40 in the connector, the self leveling works again, but the bulb still doesn't want to fire up and work.
The only thing I can think it may be is the Xenon Control Unit that sits underneath the headlight itself and can only be accessed by taking the bumper off and removing the headlight.
Even though I thought I'd got all of the water out, I'm still getting traces of condensation come back inside the light, so there must still be some water sitting somewhere. Possibly inside the Control Unit?
Before I order the Xenon Control Unit, can anyone think of anything else it might be that I may need to order at the same time? Would be good to do it all in one go rather than take the bumper off to find I'd forgotten something.

Thanks

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm

The ballast/control unit is the part under the headlight - that's usually what gets full of water - but at least you can find those cheaply enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301800439104

The bit at the back of the bulb is the igniter.

The only other thing to check is that the seal on the headlight access panel is 100% as a small cut or dent in the seal will let moisture in.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

MikeMcG

Post by MikeMcG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Thank you. Ordered!
I'll order a couple of new back covers for the headlights too as they're cheap enough from BMW.

Niallc

Post by Niallc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Yep had the same problem a while ago, there was a lot of water in my headlight. I bought a new igniter and also drilled some holes in the bottom of the headlight to drain the water