Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT Advisory Help

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sharpyboy

MOT Advisory Help

Post by sharpyboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi Guys

Just put my Zed in for the dreaded MOT and out of necessity i used a branch of National Tyres and Autocare. The car failed due to a pair of rusty exhaust clamps so not too bad i thought but then the told me the advisories. 1/ Offside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))
2/ Nearside Front Upper Macpherson strut top mounting bush going
Offside Front Upper Macpherson strut top mounting bush going
1.jpg
1.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 876 times
as you can see the rubber is coming away, but because of this they want to replace both the top strut mounts and the suspension struts and coils. The reason they gave was when they struts are removed to replace the top mount they will probably start leaking and the coils will probably break. So with the rear shocks replaced as well they want £996 to do the advisory!!! He also said the front strut could come flying up and go through the bonnet if not done. He also made it clear the advisories are updated to the police onto their ANPR computer. Was he just scaremongering to generate income or is this a known issue with suspension top mounts? (I cant believe the only thing holding the strut in is the rubber mount.

anybody any experience with suspension top mounts? did you change the struts and coils as well?

Thanks for looking
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Advisory Help

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:25 pm

theyre advisories you dont have to do a damn thing about them, do whats needed to get your pass and the go see a trusted indi to look at the other work, do not give an autocare centre 1k to fix your shocks.. yes he's trying to scare monger you
Last edited by mr.tourette on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

srhutch

MOT Advisory Help

Post by srhutch » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Advisories for ANPR, what absolute b@ll@cks. An MOT is all they can use. Of course it doesn’t mean your car is road worthy, just was when tested.

Mister T

MOT Advisory Help

Post by Mister T » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Fail for rusty exhaust clamps is a total piss take too (unless the exhaust was blowing or inadequately secured)

sharpyboy

MOT Advisory Help

Post by sharpyboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Mister T wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 pm Fail for rusty exhaust clamps is a total piss take too (unless the exhaust was blowing or inadequately secured)
yeah apparently it was the 2 sleeve clamps and they were blowing allowing exhaust fumes to escape!
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

Silverzedtom

MOT Advisory Help

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Sounds like they are trying it on. A quote at an decent Indy should look better :thumbsup:

Also, the ANPR comment he made is rubbish as far as I’m aware. Even if it was true it wouldn’t matter if you had a list of advisories as long as your arm so long as it has an MOT
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Thrustyjust

MOT Advisory Help

Post by Thrustyjust » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Had to get a tyre from one of these 'places' for a works van this week , as under contract and enjoyed listening to the crap being told by the guys to the customers about a/c and recharging. :roll: . The van I was getting sorted had air conditioning emblazoned down the wide in big 10 inch letters , in their shop and yet they didnt think ( or know) what they were talking about.
As for top mounts. Just changed the springs on mine . Easy to change the top mounts only. Just remove the strut ( 4 bolts) , clamp the spring down. Undo the centre nut and swop it out. Reverse is the way to refit.
Changing the rear shocks should be too difficult , after you have the top mounts undone, the lower is just one bolt.
Advisories are just that. You don't need to get them done instantly. But I would get the strut tops done soon. They wont affect your MOT and the police system only see's a car with a valid ticket on ANPR. We have a person in our work estate who hasnt had an MOT for over 2 years . It took a lot of notes on the car windscreen advising of this. Eventually ( maybe from us also reporting the offence) the car went for MOT and failed on bald tyres and wiper blades. :roll: Still has no VED on the car and bored of advising the DVLA, so I wouldnt panic on MOT's , after this senario. :D
I would find a genuine garage for MOT and work.Not these scamming places. They get commision on some things , like Avon tyres. One of my engineers went in for a tyre and came out with 3. I had inspected his vehicle 3 weeks earlier and all tyres were near 6mm.
My nan took her old Vauxhall Viva into a Kwit Fitting place for a puncture and came out with a set of 4 tyres, a stainless exhaust system and 4 new shocks :o . So, the swindled her out of twice the value of her car and when she left , one front wheel fell off as they hadnt tightened the wheel nuts :x
E86 In sapphire black

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Advisory Help

Post by firebobby » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:09 pm

STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR NOW!!!!!
It's a dangerous old jalopy that should be crushed...well that's what they would have you believe. :rofl:

I wouldn't take a dinky toy to those scamming b4stards, those places really try and take your pants down.
As above, if your not happy having a go yourself, take it to a trusted garage/indie.
I would get a 2nd opinion before splashing out to much cash though
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981