Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver window wont go up and down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Update:
The dealer somehow raised the window again for me saying "do not touch it again".
So I promised it. I have tested if the driver side window stays there when I operate the passenger side window.
Now the mirror control does not work - So I have opened the window switch box , he disconnected the window harness from the switch box. I have disconnect the window switch to clean it up after disassemble the box.
Today, I tried to open the passenger side with the passenger side switch box as the driver side box is disconnected.
However when I lower the passenger side window, the hazards lights were blinked and both side windows were fully opened automatically. What????
So I had to connect the driver side window switch which was cleaned after disassembling, It WORKED - driver side window.
I can guess that the switch's contact points were bad. However I will not operate the driver side window until when I had to.

The dealer still want me to replace the battery safety connector for $950 which does not make sense. I don't see any relationship between the battery cable and the (only) left window.

Update:
I went to the dealer to ask to get the window closed, he made it happen and said that don't touch it again. I realized that he left the window half inch from the top when I drive on highway. I wanted to close it up a little bit thinking it would stay there in worst case or will close then I would not touch it. However as soon as I touched the switch up position, the window automatically scrolled all the way down and won't move again. I don't understand the mechanism of the BMW's window control. How the dealer then correct it always when I go there? (He said it would happen again as the Battery safety connector has high register value. (The both battery connector bolts were loosen when I came back from the dealer at first time, so I fasten them) :?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new with BMW.
I have no idea why the window operation is so complicate for this convertible.
The problem happens in Driver side windows only even though the auto down function never worked for passenger side.
I found the issue when I test drive with the previous owner.
Here are all strange and weird thing happened driver side window.
- It was not closed when I drive. Pushed the Top-closed button multiple times. it worked all of sudden just before turn the engine off and not worked again.
- I got a quote in the dealer with fee - The motor and the windows alignment are fine. He said that the Safety Cable's register value is too high , needs to be replaced - $950??? (It's a battery cable from front engine room to the battery in the trunk.
- I found that the window was working normally at home with some unknown rules - sometimes the passenger side windows should be operated first.
- I have to go back to dealer as the red airbag light on the dashboard is always on. The windows still worked.
- When I operate the window early after the engine on, the hazards lights are blinking - It worked after all.
- Somehow driver side window worked with some combination of passenger side window's button.
- I parked with half windows down position both sides. My wife tried to close the passenger side windows after being back - the hazards lights are blinking. The passenger side worked fine always. The driver side won't up after fully down.
- Now the driver side window won't move in the down position. I tried all the reset procedures- Does not work.
- I hear click sounds.
- I don't understand the dealer's quote - How come the thick + battery cable is causing the window's (only one) operation. How can they reset the windows in 5 minutes and worked for a day or two.
- When the window was rolling up and down , it worked smoothly.
- The following was symptoms (Now it does not work at all)
- Holding the switch long time worked
- When I re-pushed the top-close button , it worked again.
- Sometimes, the hazards lights are on for the first window operation after engine-on
- Window reset function worked for passenger side.
- Do I have to back to dealer to reset the window again?
Please help me for my 2005 Z4 60,000 miles.
Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gaijiniji

Post by Gaijiniji » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Sounds like a freaky gremlin!

Was this ever working smoothly in your ownership?
Prior to failing was it a smooth movement or did it have fast and slow parts to the operation?

Could it be a window regulator? These run on plastic pulleys which can harden with time and fail. If so its a fiddly DIY job but can be done for around £50.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:01 pm

The dealership saiid that the motor and regulator are good. They made it right in 10 minutes, two times.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:48 pm

It got fixed after replacing the GM5 module from Ebay for $45. It was never related to battery safety connector. I found rusty area on the old GM5 module.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:11 am

Good luck with your zed, the dealer wants putting up against the wall for selling such fault ridden car in the first place. They have no shame.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.