Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust Emissions light has come on.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:39 pm

I have a 3.0 si Z4 e85. On going up to the peak District this weekend my Exhaust Emissions light came on. It seems rather intermittent. It has recently passed an MOT after having handbrake replaced and brake lines. This did involve dropping the exhaust. I'm now wondering if this has caused the problem. Has anyone else had this light come on and what was the cause and then solution?

Cheers Jamie
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:54 pm

You need to code read it. Chances are it’s one of the o2 sensors. Common issue.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 pm

did the exhaust bolts need to be burned off by any chance ? the bolts are very close to the bottom o2 sensor. something may be shorting out or falling off, or thay even have damaged the sensor. Or simply coincidence..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Mr roadster

Post by Mr roadster » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:22 am

Hi I have same problem on long journeys
But not on short journeys I’ve had it checked out they find nothing. Even with the AA they did a full scan. I was told to buy a obd scanner £10 on amazon to reset light so I did never came on again since April.
Hope that helps. I carry it in the car all the time.

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes they had right problems taking the exhaust off as the bolts had rusted. So from what people have said i'm hoping it just a 02 sensor. This car has been a money pit this year. Not sure I can afford any more surprises.
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:08 pm

its a good possibility they cooked the o2 that is VERY close to the bolts
im cynical you will get them to admit it so maybe suggest as a good will gesture you pay for the 02 sensor and they fit foc. i was standing right next to my fitter when he had to burn through the bolts, and they made a heat shield to protect the o2 sensor.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.