Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Electric Folding Mirror - Occasional Sticking

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
euaniebabs

Post by euaniebabs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm

I am guessing my passenger side mirror is either worn more than the drivers side, or has taken a knock at some point.

Both mirrors fold up, but occasionally the passenger mirror will fail to unfold - instead making a nasty clicking noise.

A gentle push as it tries gets it going, but it never returns to exactly the same spot - so I suspect worn or broken gear teeth in the mechanism.

Question is - does a 'fix kit' exist similar as to some other BMW models where the gears can be replaced? I have searched with no joy.

I am not keen to take mine apart in case getting to the gears ends up being more destructive than intended with an MOT looming, but am prepared to try and develop a solution that would benefit all owners without breaking the bank.

Does anybody have a spare / scrap mirror mechanism in a similar state that could used as a repair solution guinea pig?

Euan

JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:40 am

The exact same problem is currently afflicting mine ๐Ÿ˜” did you find a fix in the end? Sadly I think itโ€™s quite a rare option. Any thoughts much appreciated ๐Ÿ‘
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather

JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:20 pm

euaniebabs wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm I am guessing my passenger side mirror is either worn more than the drivers side, or has taken a knock at some point.

Both mirrors fold up, but occasionally the passenger mirror will fail to unfold - instead making a nasty clicking noise.

A gentle push as it tries gets it going, but it never returns to exactly the same spot - so I suspect worn or broken gear teeth in the mechanism.

Question is - does a 'fix kit' exist similar as to some other BMW models where the gears can be replaced? I have searched with no joy.

I am not keen to take mine apart in case getting to the gears ends up being more destructive than intended with an MOT looming, but am prepared to try and develop a solution that would benefit all owners without breaking the bank.

Does anybody have a spare / scrap mirror mechanism in a similar state that could used as a repair solution guinea pig?

Euan

Did you ever have any success on this? ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather

euaniebabs

Post by euaniebabs » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Sadly no - I tend to avoid moving them now.

I found kits that offer improved gears for other folding mirrors, but not these ones. The internals seem different to any other bmw of the period.

Was game to strip a spare broken unit in order to try and specify or make some improved brass gears that would benefit is all, but so far no surgical candidates offered up.

Any gathering dust in a shed out there?

Euan