Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Weird roof opening problem.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi all

The roof of my wife’s Z has become inoperative. I’ve gone through the usual checks and I’m stumped.

Brief history.
The motor was replaced for a brand new item just under two years ago by Redish Automotiveas it was starting to get very lazy.
As you’d expect, it was neat submerged in rainwater so the channels were cleaned out and modified to prevent reoccurrence. Great.
The roof hasn’t actually been used that much since but the motor always sounds very strong and the roof moves quickly and locates solidly.

Last week, she tries to lower the roof and nothing happens. I take a look and there’s no noise and no movement from anything. The bottom light on the button is a solid orange colour.
I check the shelf in the boot and it is in the fully down position. I checked the micro switch and the contact pin is present and clicking nicely with a smooth action.
I did a quick diagnostics check and couldn’t find any stored codes. I disconnected the battery for a little while and that made no difference, either.

I then tried opening it from the key fob. The windows start to go down and I think I’m in business. They’re fully open and then nothing happens. I notice the light on the switch is orange again.

So, before I start tearing the car apart, can anyone offer any advice on where to look next?

Thanks in advance.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Anyone?

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm

I would hazard a guess to say pump knackered again I would get it looked at by one of the roof guys from the forum depending on your location and while they fix it get them to relocate in the boot you say they modify it by doing what ? Not the drilling holes in the holder by any chance?
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Did they put the new motor in the boot or back into the damp bucket it came from?

The only sure way to protect the motor is to move it out of the wing void and into the boot. I think five members on here offer the service for not very much and most 'dead' motors can be brought back to life. I'd plan a visit to one of them and let them sort it.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm

You definitely need to clear the orange light before you can expect the roof motor to kick in.
You'e correctly checked the shelf switch, but maybe you need to actually short the two cables to clear the orange light inches prior to the switch. ( They're non voltage and looking for a closed circuit)
From what you say, the roof isn't even unlatching first ( I presume) so you need to get that in operation before you worry about the roof motor not pulling the roof into the boot.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks, guys.

There’s no unlatching and the windows don’t drop (although they do if you try off the fob) so the system is clearly locked out. That’s why I wanted to see if there was something else that was known to fail that I could check, first.

Wobblewing

Post by Wobblewing » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Did you get anywhere with this? Mine's doing something similar...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115657
Andy
Alpina Roadster S LUX #339 (Alpina Blue) - Fully Loaded, inc electric toothbrush and digital TV

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi Andy

I have, actually. The problem seems to stem from the passenger window.
I managed to fire up my ancient laptop that has INPA and found some error codes against both door windows which leads to an error with the emergency lockout. Once these were cleared, the roof sprung back into life - albeit with the passenger window not fully dropping or closing.

My handheld VGate reader didn’t pick anything up so it’s worth getting checked with the proper BMW system first.
I’ll keep and eye on it and maybe change the regulator if it persists.

Wobblewing

Post by Wobblewing » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:38 pm

Hmmmm. ok thanks...

I've just had a new regulator in the passenger window.... a couple of months ago.
Andy
Alpina Roadster S LUX #339 (Alpina Blue) - Fully Loaded, inc electric toothbrush and digital TV

lambo911

Post by lambo911 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 am

Doesn't sound like it is the roof motor, as you would still get the windows moving and it unlatching. If you manually unlatch it from the windscreen and wind the windows down does the motor operate

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Even if it's not the issue at the moment - it will be at some time. Get the motor relocated into the boot, it's the only way to avoid failure.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:02 pm

It’s failed again. The root of the problem lies with a constant error state on the passenger door window. It claims the emergency stop mechanism has failed so it locks out the roof operation.

0E/21 - Power window: Open circuit Jam protection strip or lost of scaling/Error EKS electronic Passenger door.

I’ll need to research it more deeply.

Wolverine_1999

Post by Wolverine_1999 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 am

I have the same exact error.. did you get it solved in the end?