Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by kis » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Must be the piston in the calliper, not retracting properly. Someone on the forum is selling a complete set. Might be worth getting just for the rears? Even though you’ve had (screeching) a while you’ve done all the hard work changing and testing all associated components.
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: Bucks/Oxon

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by MrPT » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:48 pm

laurieballard wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 pm
Ok so today I did the following

- Stripped both rear sides down, discs off etc.
- Cleaned both sides, all components using a wire brush and sandpaper.
- Greased slider pins
- Adjusted hand brake so it’s not fully up, basically adjusted it off a bit
- Copper greased back of pads again
- Ran some sand paper over the face of the pads

Took it out, still squealing!!! Made no difference at all.
And the anti-rattle clips?
2008 Z4MC: SG/Imola|+OEM CSLs|+KWv3|+TMS RTABLs|+VT mounts|+Eventuri|+OEM strut brace|+DB9 front BBK|+cruise
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:54 pm

MrPT wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:48 pm
laurieballard wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 pm
Ok so today I did the following

- Stripped both rear sides down, discs off etc.
- Cleaned both sides, all components using a wire brush and sandpaper.
- Greased slider pins
- Adjusted hand brake so it’s not fully up, basically adjusted it off a bit
- Copper greased back of pads again
- Ran some sand paper over the face of the pads

Took it out, still squealing!!! Made no difference at all.
And the anti-rattle clips?
Both fine, removed them both and cleaned them up etc.

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:33 am

The ones in the for sale section will not fit mine which sucks.

Does anybody know if the E46 calipers are the same? Assuming they came off a 316/318 car and mine is the 2.0l.

Cheers

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by kis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 am

Have you checked those two being broken (on here)? I'm sure one of them is a 2.0?
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am

Bought two replacements from a car being broken on here, hopefully they fix the issue!

Thanks all

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Ha, replaced the callipers and still squealing!!!

Only things left are the handbrake shoes or the slider pins!

It’s weird as hard on braking is ok and light breaking is ok, it only does it at a very specific push down point on the pedal.

User avatar
Jembo
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5296
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Kent

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by Jembo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 pm

laurieballard wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm
Ha, replaced the callipers and still squealing!!!

Only things left are the handbrake shoes or the slider pins!

It’s weird as hard on braking is ok and light breaking is ok, it only does it at a very specific push down point on the pedal.
From what you’ve done, after the pins & handbrake the only thing left will be to change the car itself
The dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54
Image

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Jembo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 pm
[quote=laurieballard post_id=<a href="tel:1663921">1663921</a> time=<a href="tel:1561906712">1561906712</a> user_id=28593]
Ha, replaced the callipers and still squealing!!!

Only things left are the handbrake shoes or the slider pins!

It’s weird as hard on braking is ok and light breaking is ok, it only does it at a very specific push down point on the pedal.
From what you’ve done, after the pins & handbrake the only thing left will be to change the car itself
[/quote]

Indeed, fortunately both those are fairly cheap. I’m am umming and ahhing about getting rid anyway to be honest, want something more practical.

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by kis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:24 am

Really interesting! Hope you do get it sorted! :?
I used red rubber grease on the pins and never had any problems. I can't remember but I'm sure you said you greased all the appropriate areas?
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:18 am

kis wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:24 am
Really interesting! Hope you do get it sorted! :?
I used red rubber grease on the pins and never had any problems. I can't remember but I'm sure you said you greased all the appropriate areas?
Yeah I copper greased the slider pins and the pad areas as normal, no difference.

If it were the handbrake assembly (although I cleaned this already), somehow then I would expect to have noticed it when going along, I can't see how it would only manifest when actually braking as the handbrake should be disengaged at this point. If I pull the handbrake up a little when moving, it doesn't cause any similar noises so I am thinking its unlikely to be this.

Driving me up the wall now, am tempted to find some cheapo second hand discs just to change over for a day before I spend money on new ones.

User avatar
dans6490
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:28 am

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 am

I had virtually the same issue with my old 2005 X3. I changed the pads and disks to pagid and they squealed under “normal” braking. Under hard braking they didn’t.

I initially thought it was just the new stuff being broken in but after a few thousand miles it was still there.

Cutting a long story short, it turned out to be the discs. After changing the discs to a better brand, the squealing stopped.

From what I had read, I couldn’t see that you had actually replaced the disks, so would definitely be worth doing.
Black - 2003 -e85 - 2.5i. 19'' BBS "twist". Facelift bumpers, facelift front and rear lights. M steering wheel. ZHP. Ram air scoop. Red seats. Stance coilovers. DLV back box.

Previous 2003 Silver e85

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 am

dans6490 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 am
I had virtually the same issue with my old 2005 X3. I changed the pads and disks to pagid and they squealed under “normal” braking. Under hard braking they didn’t.

I initially thought it was just the new stuff being broken in but after a few thousand miles it was still there.

Cutting a long story short, it turned out to be the discs. After changing the discs to a better brand, the squealing stopped.

From what I had read, I couldn’t see that you had actually replaced the disks, so would definitely be worth doing.
Interesting, well the discs are Pagid if I remember correctly. ECP often do 50% off so could get two Brembo ones for £60, might give them a go and if it doesn't fix it, I could always flog the Brembo ones and make some of the money back.

User avatar
dans6490
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:28 am

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by dans6490 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 am

Gotta be worth a try. I did have the callipers refreshed also but looking back I should’ve realised it was the disks and / or pads as in the wet there was no squeal.

Understand your frustration tho as it’s really annoying and also embarrasing.
Black - 2003 -e85 - 2.5i. 19'' BBS "twist". Facelift bumpers, facelift front and rear lights. M steering wheel. ZHP. Ram air scoop. Red seats. Stance coilovers. DLV back box.

Previous 2003 Silver e85

laurieballard
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Horrendous Brake Squeal!

Post by laurieballard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 am

Ive now replaced the following on the rear:

Pads (three times) - Now Brembo
Discs (twice) - Now Brembo
Calipers
Handbrake shoes - Bosch

Also greased up the slider pins and the normal pad point.

Still squealing.

Im gonna have to sell the car I think, Im not sure what else it could be!

Post Reply