Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rough idle and stalling issue- help please!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
z4_lover

Post by z4_lover » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi forum community,

I have a 2007 BMW Z4 E85 and have an issue where the car has a rough idle which sometimes leads to the car stalling when stopped.

I would say the issue is slightly worse after the car has warmed up.

Rough idle feels like the car is running a bit lumpy, and the idle can drop a bit lower and then this blips back but sometimes this will stall completely.

I have plugged in my fault code reader and attached the fault codes which are 29E7 and 29E8, fuel mixture adaptation.

Also, I have taken a couple of pictures in the engine bay which I think shows signs of the problem.. there appears to be an oil leak. I have read a couple of posts that this may be the idle valve. Has anyone else had this problem and replaced this part and fixed the issue?

I have had a look over the hoses and they appear to be in good condition which was the other fix mentioned. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
Attachments
Engine bay possible leak, idle valve?
IMG_3980.jpg (132.85 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Fault code 29E7 and 29E8 mixture adaptation
Fault code 29E7 and 29E8 mixture adaptation
IMG_3976.jpg (257.8 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
IMG_3977.jpg (220.77 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
IMG_3979.jpg (135.11 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

z4_lover

Post by z4_lover » Fri May 17, 2019 3:39 pm

If it helps, the full fault codes are:

29E8 Mixture adaptation 2 (leakage air)
29E7 Fuel mixture adaptation (air leak)

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri May 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi. Sorry to hear about your troubles. When you say you've "had a look over the hoses" and they "appear to be in good condition", can I read that to say it wasn't necessarily the most thorough inspection of the rubber hoses on the inlet side of the engine? The error codes are helpfully directing you to look for an air leak on the inlet side, so that is the best place to start. The large hose between the air box and the inlet manifold is prone to splitting, and isn't too big a job to remove so you can look at it under a good light. Any other hoses connected to the inlet manifold can also upset the mixture, so if that main intake hose is free of damage, check the rest as a starting point :thumbsup:
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Capa

Post by Capa » Mon May 20, 2019 4:57 pm

As with the above, this smells like an air leak before the cylinder. Have a goooood look at the inlet pipe, and if no joy, get a smoke test done.
E86 | Stratus Grey