Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel Well Expanding Rivets

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Landon32

Post by Landon32 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:44 am

Hello all,

This is my first time on the forum, since I just couldn’t come to a solution on my own.

I’ll try and keep it brief. Need to remove my bumper in order to gain some clearance, but but when I stated, I could not push the center pins of the expanding rivets in at all. They seem to be stuck in place, and I can’t move forward without their removal.

If anyone could help me troubleshoot, I would greatly appreciate it!
Attachments
You can see the spot in the center where I tried to use a screwdriver to push in the pins.
You can see the spot in the center where I tried to use a screwdriver to push in the pins.
90DF5C02-E979-4786-8688-8B8A40AB5A2F.jpeg (231.28 KiB) Viewed 436 times

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:44 am

This is front bumper, right? I use a suitably-sized allen key, personally. It gives me something to get my hands around so that I can apply some force, while the 90 degree bend means I can get in there even with the car on the ground and the wheels in the "dead ahead" position. It takes 10 seconds to pop all four.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 am

If you use a screwdriver you’ll be forcing the head of the pin sideways into the rivet, which will hold it in place.

Best to use something that has a flat face that fits snuggly against the pin - e.g. a metal dowel, drill bit or allen key, as above - and give it a sharp tap with a hammer.

Buy yourself a plastic rivetting kit off eBay etc too - very cheap and the only way to get a clean reinstall.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:51 am

They don't look like the oem plastic push rivets, so I'd imagine someone has replaced them at some point with God knows what.

Sometimes they need quite a bit of force to push through. I used a very small torx screwdriver which gave a nice flat circular surface to sit on the centre part.

Allen key and a hammer also does the trick :thumbsup:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am

I replaced my push rivets with a centre that you unscrew half a turn, same principle but pull instead of push.

The pics looks to be a similar type.

biojo

Post by biojo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am

they look like my old ones, if i remember correctly they get bit stuck at the endjust give them a firm tap, i know when i ordered new ones from bmw mine now have like a nail head so u can pull the center out and re use them